Chapter 25

Apologies for the lateness wattpad deleted half the chapter so I had to rewrite, updates will be more regular from now because my exams are over woooo! I'm really not that confident in my writing ability at the moment so apologies if this chapter isn't the best, also some technicalities may not be 100% accurate 😬 Thank you for reading and remember to comment and vote!

Also just a disclaimer something I'm really struggling with is time (particularly relating to pregnancy) so if time scales seem off or stuff like that please ignore it i'm doing my best ahaha.

Please vote and comment, honestly funny comments make my day - prime example SparklingLucifer who supports a certain ship of mine i tend to keep on the down low. I really appreciate everyones continued support, I can't believe i have over 30k reads! Love you all!

---

Hour 5 of driving and my eyes were burning.  Getting out of illinois was surprisingly easy, not the road block and masses of police I'd been expecting, although I wasn't quite sure what I'd do if that had been the situation. My mind kept flicking to Michael and the scan pictures in my pocket. I missed him.

I drove for 30 more minutes before stopping at an inconspicuous gas station. I grabbed a baseball cap I found in the back of the car and pulled it down over my sunglasses before stepping out and heading into the store.

The door chimed loudly as I entered causing the young woman behind the counter to look up. I headed straight for the hair products and picked out a dark brown hair dye.

I grabbed a handful of snacks, gum, water and some hair ties. My eyes flickered over the beers but my hand instinctively reached to the bump and tore my eyes away and headed to the checkout. 

I eyed the girl as she scanned my things, she had gorgeous dark curly hair that was tied up showing her slender neck, my eyes travelled up to her dark eyes and the scar in her eyebrow before they went even further up to the TV in the corner. There I was. My mug shot staring down at me. My sharp intake of breath caused the girl to look up at me. I smiled at her and she smiled back, before continuing to scan my things. She scribbled something on my receipt and put it in the bag. I handed her $20 and when she put the change in my hand her finger tickled my palm and it reminded me of my mother so I smiled at her warmly.

When I got back in the car I checked the receipt. She'd scribbled her name 'Stephanie' and her number on it, an elegent scrawl, rushed but thoughtful. I smiled to myself and tucked it into the passenger seat glove box.

I drove for 6 more hours without any problems it felt too good to be true so I pulled over at the next motel I came across. I parked in the corner of the parking lot and headed into reception, stolen gear in hand. The only person there was an older guy standing behind a desk. He looked up as I walked in. I pulled my cap lower over my face. "Umm can I have a room for 1 night please." 

He pushed a grubby book towards me "30 dollars" He grunted. I scribbled a name I used to use with John and handed him 30 dollars realising I only had just over 20 dollars left. He handed me a room key and gestured to the right. I got to my room and unlocked it stepping inside, when I flicked the light switch next to the door something made a loud pop and there was no light. I sighed and turned on the lamp next to the bed and looked around.

The layout was eerily familiar, instantly my mind flicked back to when I was 17 and still with my father.

It was dark outside and the man had just left. I limped to the motel toilet. He'd been particularly violent and I knew bruises were going to form. I wet some toilet paper and pressed it against the bloody mark on my neck where he'd bit me. I was exhausted. Just then I heard the motel door open and slam shut. Loud footsteps were coming my way, the bathroom door swung open, my father stood there fuming. "He demanded half his money back." I stepped back pressing myself against the wall terrified. "He said you just lay there like a fucking plank what is wrong with you." He screamed. I could feel droplets of spit landing on me and turned my head away in fear.

He grabbed my head and smacked it into the wall, I almost blacked out from the pain. I could feel myself being picked up and then I was dropped in the bath. Cold water rained down on me and I shouted in surprise and tried to wriggle free but the iron grip on my neck kept me in place. After another minute of struggling he pulled me out the bath "Next time at least act like you like it" He whispered in my ear before storming out the room. 

I lay on the floor breathing heavily trying to get my breath back. I weakly pressed a hand to my head and brought it to my eyes, blood trickled down my hand dripping onto my face and running down it onto the floor. My hand dropped to the floor and I began to sob. I sobbed the way you sob when you begin to forget what your mum's voice sounds like or what her hugs feel like, the way you sob when you think about the first time someone touched you and told you it wouldn't hurt, but it did. I sobbed for the life I'd didn't have and the life I did. My heart, only held together by childish dreams of freedom and happiness ripped apart.

A loud knock on the door brought me back. I wiped away the tears I didn't know had formed and the sweat on my forehead. I gripped the door handle noticing how much my hand was shaking and pulled it open without thinking who could be on the other side. 

A person I'd never thought I'd see again stared at me.

"T-bag?"

---

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to comment and vote it means a lot. <3