Chapter 1: A Letter

Tokyo was a loud, crazy, beautiful city. The skyscrapers lit up with advertisements and products stood tall and proud, almost like they were guards protecting the magnificent city. Everywhere you looked, there were neon lights, giving off bright, vibrant colours.

Tokyo was a sensational place, and a treat for all the senses. Wherever you looked, there were endless possibilities of activities to do and places to visit.

However, the fact that Tokyo was crowded due to tourists couldn't be ignored. It was hard to hear yourself think when everyone around you was talking loudly in various languages, pointing out artifacts and asking for directions.

However, lots of tourists meant lots of business, which was perfect for the small Wagashi shop, named Homura, run by the sisters Kōsaka Honoka and Yukiho.

Yukiho was twenty one years old, and the youngest of the two sisters. However, over the past few years she had grown in height, and had overpassed her older sister. Yukiho had short dark brown hair, which only just reached the edge of her jawline. She had bangs framing her face, and a fringe. She had piercing, ocean-blue eyes, framed with red glasses.

Honoka, aged twenty three, was shorter and slightly plumper than her younger sister. Honoka's hair was ginger, and it reached her shoulders. She had taken a small section of her hair and tied it up in a bunch on her right side in a yellow bow. Honoka's eyes were a dark blue, much darker than her sisters.

Both girls dressed in white shirts, blue jeans and navy blue aprons whilst they worked.

When they weren't working, Yukiho wore plain shirts underneath various hoodies, and black or blue jeans and big black boots.

Honoka (when not wearing her pajamas) usually wore a short red and white chequered skirt, and a red shirt and black shoes.

Honoka and Yukiho lived together above their shop, which their parents had left them both to run whilst they travelled abroad in celebration of their twenty fifth wedding anniversary.

Both the sisters were single. Whilst this bothered Yukiho, Honoka wasn't really interested in men and dating. Honoka often got told by her sister that she was in a relationship with food, and Honoka didn't mind this at all. Honoka liked the idea!

Yukiho was the more sensible out of the two sisters. She was very down to earth and mature, and hated to be embarrassed. Granted, sometimes she did crazy, silly things, but she always made sure nobody was around when she did them.

Honoka was known to be wild and adventurous. She was always ready to try new things, and she had lots of confidence. Normally, Yukiho was seen trying to keep her sister under control.

One Thursday afternoon, Honoka left Yukiho a message saying that she went out for a walk, so Yukiho was left in charge of the shop. There were quite a few customers, but Yukiho was able to manage by herself.

It got to three o'clock, and the shop was empty. Yukiho began tidying the shop up. She wiped the wooden tables clean, straightened out the red mats, half-opened the windows, and swept up the tiled floor. The wooden door was closed, because there was a slight chill in the air.

Yukiho headed behind the wooden counter and picked up her mobile phone from a small shelf underneath the counter top.

Yukiho opened up the texts between her and Honoka. She typed out "Will you be home soon?? xx" and clicked send.

Just then the letter box opened from the other side, and two letters and a postcard appeared.

Yukiho shut her phone off and headed to the front door. She picked up the mail and flicked through it as she walked back to the counter.

The postcard was from her parents, with a picture of a cathedral in Spain, telling her about their travels so far in Europe. The first letter was a bill, and the second letter was for Honoka.

Yukiho placed the postcard and bill on the counter and examined the letter for Honoka in more detail. In the top right corner, Yukiho noticed a logo. It was a logo she hadn't seen in a long time. Bright pink wording, in a smooth, curved font...

Suddenly, Yukiho's thoughts were interrupted by a loud crash coming from upstairs, and then several loud thuds coming down the stairs. Yukiho knew that sound could only be one person...

"Good morning, Yukiho!" Honoka cried happily, staggering into the room, and giving a huge yawn.

Yukiho looked her sister up and down. "It's afternoon. I thought you had gone out?"

"Huh?" Honoka asked, looking at the time on the clock hung on the wall. "Oh yeah... I wanted to go on a walk... I went upstairs to get my earphones and I fell asleep." Honoka smiled.

Yukiho rolled her eyes. "Right... Um, there's a letter for you here." Yukiho held out the letter cautiously.

Honoka's eyes widened. "I have mail?!" Honoka gave a dramatic gasp. "I never get mail! Wait, do people still send mail? Who's it from?! What does it say?!"

Honoka snatched up the letter from her sister's grasp, and gave a small twirl, holding her letter above her head.

"Honoka, I think the letter is important," Yukiho said, trying to carry her voice over her sister's noisy yells of glee.

"Huh? Important?" Honoka stood straight and held the envelope from the two top corners. She looked at the envelope, and tilted her head slightly. "How do you know it's important? Who's it from?"

"Move your thumb," Yukiho said, pointing to Honoka's right hand.

Honoka moved her thumb from the right corner, and almost dropped her letter when she saw what was there...

There, printed in pink, was a logo she hadn't seen in so long; five words written in a calm, contemporary font, instantly bringing back lots of good memories, and almost bringing tears to Honoka's eyes: Love Live! School idol project.