Chapter 7: Nico Nico Nii

It was Eli who had to wake Honoka up the next morning. Nozomi and Yukiho were downstairs making breakfast, and Alisa was watching them, whilst asking questions about all the different foods in cans and packets that she found in the cupboard. Due to living in Russia most of her life, Alisa wasn't too familiar with the Japanese language.

After a delicious breakfast of scrambled eggs on toast, everyone climbed into Yukiho's car (Honoka and Yukiho sat in the front, and Eli, Nozomi and Alisa in the back seats) and Yukiho drove them to the place where they were to meet Nico.

Honoka wanted to stay awake and talk to the rest of the girls, but she accidentally fell asleep during the car journey, and didn't wake up until they had arrived.

Yukiho had parked directly outside a large, modern elementary school, with large  walls and large windows, and big black double doors as the entrance. There was also a large flat area for running around, and there was a wooden obstacle course next to one of the walls, and a track course on the grass nearby.

"You three will have to he quick," Yukiho said to Honoka, Eli and Nozomi. "I can't park here. I'm going to drive round a bit and find a car parking spot. Text me when you're ready."

Honoka, Eli and Nozomi climbed out of the car and waved goodbye to Yukiho and Alisa.

Honoka stretched and turned to face the other two. "Ready?"

Nozomi nodded. "Definitely."

"Did I miss anything whilst I was asleep?" Honoka asked.

"What do you mean?" Eli asked.

"Did you talk about anything whilst I was asleep?" Honoka asked.

Eli shrugged. "Not really."

"We only talked about how much you were drooling," Nozomi smirked.

Honoka's hand immediately went to cover her mouth and chin. "I was drooling?!" Honoka looked up to the sky and fell dramatically to her knees. "WHY?!?!"

"Honoka," Eli hissed. "Get up, you're a grown woman, for crying out loud." But Eli was smiling.

After insuring Honoka there was no drool around her mouth, Nozomi lead the way into the school and to reception, where they were given grey visit lanyards to wear, and were gives directions to the gym, where Nico was teaching a class. They reached the gym two minutes later and entered.

The gym was the largest room in the school. The floor was smooth and wooden, and the walls were brightly coloured. There was a wooden climbing frame pinned to one wall, and there were basketball hoops hung on the two width walls, and climbing ropes hung down from the ceiling.

All the students were sat on the floor in the centre of the room. They all were about six years old, and all wearing white shirts and black shorts with bare feet, and the girls wore their hair up.

Their teacher, Yazawa Nico, was stood up, her hands on her hips and a determined look etched on her face.

Nico hadn't changed much since they last saw her. She hadn't grown in height, so she was fairly short. She had short black hair in two bunches, and her red eyes shone with courage and determination. She was wearing a pink shirt and a pair of black leggings with black running shoes.

"Okay," Nico addressed the students. "Are you all ready?"

"Yes!" The students cried.

Nico cupped her hands behind her ears. "I can't hear you. Are you all ready?"

"YES!!" The students laughed, yelling even louder.

Nico smiled. "Good. Now, I want you all to stand up and find a space in the room."

The children quickly did as they were told.

"Now, do you all remember the special move that I showed you last lesson?" Nico asked. "Because we're going to practice that again today. I'll demonstrate, and then you can all copy."

Nico turned around so she wasn't facing her students. She waited for a few seconds, and then spun around. She held her first and last fingers up on both hands, and held the middle and ring fingers down with her thumbs. She raised her left arm up first, and then brought it back down and did the same with her right arm. She then held her hands by the sides of her face as she said: "Nico Nico nii!"

All the students watched her in awe, and then copied her, an out-of-tune chorus of "Nico Nico nii" filling the air.

Nozomi covered her mouth with her hand to stop herself from laughing, Eli looked amazed, and Honoka grinned.

Nico turned her head, saw her old school friends, and grinned

"Perfect!" Nico said, addressing her students. "Now, we're going to keep trying that. I want you to get into groups of no more then five, and practice again and again. I need to go to a quick meeting now, but I'll be back shortly."

Whilst the children sorted themselves into groups, Nico headed to Honoka and the rest of them, and lead them into corridor, where hugs were given. Honoka was surprised that she could almost rest her chin on Nico's head.

"It was so nice to receive your message, Honoka-chan," Nico grinned, putting her hands on her hips. "And it's nice to see Nozomi-chan and Eli-chan too. How are you all?"

"It's nice to see you too, Nicochi," Nozomi smiled.

"We're good, thank you," Eli said. "But Nico, we need your help. Do you still listen to news regarding Love Live?"

"The School Idol Project?" Nico asked. She smiled. "Of course! I am after all, the number one idol!"

"Ah, good. This will make our job easier," Honoka beamed. "So you know that it may get shut down?"

Nico's face fell. "What? Are you serious?!"

"Oh...you didn't know?" Honoka said.

Eli nodded at Nico. "Yes, and the members of μ's have been asked to perform for the next Love Live next June, to try bring more popularity and save the contest. Will you join us?"

Nico thought for a moment. "I love idols," she said. "I loved μ's, and I still do..." Nico beamed. "We managed to save our school from being closed down all those years ago, so saving Love Live itself will be a piece of cake!"

"Words spoken like a true idol research club president," Nozomi winked.

"I'm afraid I'll have to sort something out regarding my job, though," Nico said thoughtfully. "I don't want to quit my job as a dance teacher here. But I don't think I'll be able to leave and then return after seven months... But the chairman here is quite nice. I'm sure we'll be able to compromise something. I'll go speak to him now."

"Wait, don't you have a lesson to teach?" Eli asked, nodding to the door of the gym.

"Oh yeah..." Nico said, with slow realisation. "I'll tell you what... You all go back home and I'll finish off here, and I'll come back to your house, Honoka. Do you still live at the sweet shop?"

Honoka nodded.

Nico nodded. "I know how to drive. I'll drive on and meet you tonight after my work shift."

Once all the plans had been finalised, they all said their goodbyes and exchanged hugs again, before Nico entered the gym.

Honoka, Eli and Nozomi heard a chorus of "Nico, Nico nii!" coming from inside the gym before the door closed behind Nico.