Chapter 25: New Year, New μ's

The girls went back to their homes to celebrate Christmas. They spent Christmas eve together, baking, singing and taking funny pictures at Honoka's house.

On Christmas day, they spent time with their families. Honoka and Yukiho spent the day exchanging gifts, eating a range of foods and watching Christmas films. Kotori and her mother spent the day giving presents to people in their neighbourhood and dressing up fancily to go to dance party. Umi and her mother went for a long leisurely walk. Hanayo and her family baked and cooked a range of different foods and ate them, although Hanayo didn't eat a lot of what was made. Rin and her extended family played lots of fun exercising games in order to win prizes and presents. Maki and her family opened their presents together, but all went to the hospital in order to care for patients, and Maki played the piano for them. Nico and her younger siblings danced to Christmas songs and opened their gifts and ate Nico's homemade Christmas dinner. Eli, Alisa and Nozomi headed on a spiritual adventure to a nature reserve which had been decorated with a White Christmas theme for the special day.

The members of μ's didn't meet up again until the new year, where they spent ages praying for success and strength at the local shrine.

When it was the second of January, they all met at Honoka's house.

"Hanayo-chan, it's just been Christmas, how are you so thin?" Honoka asked. "Did you even eat anything? Food at Christmas is the best!"

Hanayo covered her body with her hands. "Of course I ate!" She cried quickly, sounding upset.

"Kayo-chin is just being careful," Rin said. "Rin-chan is very proud of Kayo-chin doing her best, nya!" 

Rin hugged Hanayo, and Hanayo hugged her back, but she still looked worried.

"And Eli, you look great!" Maki commented.

Eli looked pleased. "Thank you." She smiled proudly. "I gained five pounds!"

"Well done Eli-chan!" Honoka beamed.

Eli grinned. "Thanks, Honoka-chan!"

"Is it time to start practicing for the performance in February?" Kotori asked.

"Soon," Umi said. "But Rin-chan and I arranged for us all to go on a run with Rin-chan's running group this week and next week, just as a final piece of exercise, and to motivate us for when we practice dancing!"

"Exciting," Nozomi nodded.

"Umi-chan, when are we next getting weighed?" Nico asked.

"Actually," Umi looked at Nozomi and smiled. "I won't be weighing you anymore. You're all responsible for your own weights, now.  But we all need to be responsible and eat healthily and exercise."

"That sounds good," Nozomi smiled back at Umi. "How ever did you come up with that idea?"

"Let's just say I had a good friend help me," Umi said to Nozomi, nudging her slightly.

Nozomi looked touched.

"Good!" Honoka sighed, relieved. "I feel like I've put on ten pounds over Christmas! I ate too many meat buns!"

"As long as you're happy with your weight and can dance and sing smoothly, that isn't a problem," Umi nodded.

"What if..." Hanayo began timidly. "What if you aren't happy with you weight?"

"Are you still not happy, Kayo-chin?" Rin asked, worried.

"I don't know," Hanayo admitted, wrapping her arms around her body.

"I personally think you look fine," Eli said. "Honestly, I'm a little jealous of your figure. But if you want to lose some weight, we can't stand in your way."