Chapter 58: The Future

The next day, everyone was packing their bags and getting ready to head back home.

"Nozomi-chan, what are you doing?" Honoka asked as she and Nico packed everyone a sandwich (or rice in Hanayo's case) for their lunch.

Nozomi grinned, her eyes shining. "I never realised how fun taking pictures of yourself was!"

"Oh, you mean selfies?" Honoka nodded.

"Selfies..." Nozomi repeated the word slowly. Then she grinned and nodded. "Yep, those!"

Nico smiled. "You really like that mobile phone, don't you?"

Nozomi's facial expression grew even more cheerful. "I LOVE it!! I forgot how handy and cool they are!!"

"I'm presuming we bought you the right birthday present then?" Umi asked as she and Eli entered the living room carrying bags of costumes and everyday clothes.

"Yes! Thank you!" Nozomi nodded eagerly again. "Hm... Oh, and the internet app is fantastic!"

"Internet app..." Nico shook her head and grinned. "Nozomi-chan is so old fashioned."

"But in the best way," Eli said pointedly.

Once everybody had packed their bags, met in the living room and doubled checked every bedroom for any stray possessions, they headed to the train station and travelled back home. Honoka and Yukiho hugged immediately, and Eli and Alisa almost cried when they saw each other again. Everyone headed back to their homes whilst and Alisa, Eli and Nozomi planned to stay with Honoka's for a few more days.

One day later Nico asked every one to meet up, as she had an announcement to make.

Everyone headed to Honoka's house, full of both excitement and worry. When everyone arrived, they noticed Nico's blue car, with lots of boxes and suitcases packed in the back...

"Nico-chan, are you moving away?" Maki asked, looking upset.

"No! Please don't!" Rin cried. "I don't want Nico-chan to move away, nya!"

"We'd miss you!" Hanayo added sadly. 

Nico put her hands on her hips and grinned. "Of course I'm not moving away! I'm moving BACK!!"

"Huh?" Honoka asked. "Back to Tokyo? But what about your job as a dance teacher?"

"Honoka-chan, I've been gone from that job for seven months now - there's no way I'm going back there!! Besides, as much as I love teaching children the ways of Nico Nico Nii, it just isn't what I want to spend the next several years of my life doing. I've found a job here, as a chef assistant in a restaurant."

"You've gone from dancing to cooking?" Eli asked.

Nico nodded. "After spending all my time cooking for you lot these past few months, I've grown to love it again. I used to cook for my siblings all the time. I forgot how much I enjoy it."

"So the universe's number one school idol Yazawa Nico is retiring from her idol position?" Nozomi asked.

Nico hesitated before speaking. "Well... I've always wanted to become a pro idol. I've always wanted that power and fame, to be influential and inspiring to all. I was ready to sacrifice anything I had to in order to get there. But... These past few months have made me realise that I don't want to be a pro idol if I'm alone. I want to be pro idols with all of you. But I know that won't happen." Nico hesitated. "And I'm okay with that... Remember seven years ago, when this idol group originally formed?"

Honoka nodded with a smile. She could feel her eyes watering. "How could we forget?"

Nico managed a smile. "I was so mean to you, because I couldn't achieve my dream of being an idol with my first group... I wasn't mean because I didn't want you to achieve this dream.... It was because I didn't want you to fail like I did. But instead, you opened your hearts to me and let me join your group. You made me realise that I could be a pro idol. But of course, I don't want to do it alone." Nico looked at Hanayo. "Hanayo-chan and I spoke on the phone last night. I know she loves idols as much as I do. I told her all this, and she agrees."