Chapter 1

Paris, 1844

Sean was just finishing up an assignment in E'tretat, France, when he was commanded back to Paris. The small seaside town was being used as a port to smuggle in defecting English soldiers. Sean's job was to find the treasonous captain responsible for aiding them.

Having completed his mission successfully, he was looking forward to some well-deserved rest and relaxation, and an opportunity to visit his family in London. To his disappointment, it looked as if he wouldn't be returning home anytime soon.

A summons had arrived that morning from the Ministry. It had been sealed and hand-delivered to the inn where he was temporarily staying. Sean was thankful it arrived on time. For had it been an hour later, he would have missed it entirely. He had planned to return with the ship carrying the now-imprisoned captain.

The missive he received had been marked urgent. It said he was to meet his contact tomorrow at midnight, down by the wharves along the river Seine. Something was definitely amiss, he concluded. The Ministry only contacted an agent this way, if it was under dire circumstances. They feared it would reveal an agent's cover, placing him in mortal danger.

Normally he would receive his orders in an encrypted message, placed in a hidden location. Then after decoding said message he would burn it to cinders.

He paused for a moment to contemplate the seriousness of this rendezvous. Two agents meeting in one place was dangerous. It could cost both of them their lives should they be discovered. Especially, if one of them had been followed by an enemy spy.

Of course, it could be a trap as well. Although the letter carried the official government seal, it could've been from anyone. There had been traitors in their midst before.

He would have to be extremely cautious on the morrow if he wanted to stay alive, but first, he needed to return to Paris.

It was a three-hour journey from E'tretat by train. However, he wouldn't be on it. He preferred to ride. It would take him a few hours more on horseback, but that was his prerogative. He hated trains. He was all for technological advances, but he just didn't care for some of them. He liked the peaceful silence and natural feel that came with horse riding, compared to the noisy, and often crowded passenger cars. Maybe it was a little old fashioned for someone his age, as most of his peers were more progressive, but he didn't care. He liked things just the way they were. Besides, the ride would allow him time to devise a plan.

At three and twenty, he had already accomplished more than most of his peers. After he graduated from Eton with honors, he went directly into service for his country. He traveled to foreign ports, met with diplomats, and dined with royalty. He was one of England's top spies, though nobody knew except those at the Ministry.

His family thought him an accomplished man of business, and a foreign diplomat for the government. He hated lying to them about his work, but it was necessary. It was the hardest part of his job. Often times he had to remind himself that it was for their own safety.

He was quite successful at business as well. Much like his father, he made wise investments and made a fortune in government bonds. His decisions had made him a very wealthy man.
It was due to that reason nobody suspected him of leading a double life. He even owned his own estate and a townhouse in London.

Of course, he had a little help along the way. His brother-in-law Jonathon, had insisted on replacing the inheritance his father had stolen from theirs. Sean had refused it of course, as it hadn't been Jonathon's obligation. However, in the end, he capitulated.

He wasn't one to take anything for granted, unlike most of the young aristocrats he knew.
While they attended lavish parties, gambled away their allowance, and kept mistresses, Sean worked for a living. He really couldn't fault them for it. They were young, titled, wealthy, and for the most part spoiled since birth. He hadn't been quite so lucky.

Sean had known what life was like to live on both sides. His father was a wealthy businessman from Ireland. He had brought his family to England when Sean was but a young lad. He remembered the sprawling mansion, with its rich decor, and lavish parties. He had fond memories there, of the life he had known. However, all of that came to an end.

After being financially ruined by his friend and business partner, Sean's father had taken his own life. They had lost everything. Had it not been for his sister Shannon's hard work and frugality they would have never survived. She had refused to give up and had taken care of him and Victoria. It was because of her they were still alive today.

He would always remain humbled and grateful for everything she sacrificed. Due to those sacrifices, he had been determined to make her proud, so he had excelled in school and made his own way. He had learned early on that one's life could change in an instant, so he wasn't taking any chances with his. So he worked and he saved, while others spent.

It wasn't that he didn't like to attend musicales, lounge at the club, or indulge in a hand of cards. He liked to participate in those things as well as anyone else. He was outgoing like most of his counterparts, witty at times, and the ladies seemed to find him attractive.

He also enjoyed the finer things just as well as the next person, but he had responsibilities, and he took them seriously. One day he wished to settle down, take a wife, and start a family. He would never allow them to suffer the way he and his sisters had. He wanted them to be secure, and to feel safe from villainous men like his enemies.

When he started as an agent, he was so caught up in the excitement, and the mystery, that he hadn't thought of the consequences to the ones he loved. For that he was sorry, but he would probably still make the same decision today. He wanted to help, to make a difference in the world. Unfortunately, it was dangerous work, but someone had to do it.

He had lived life on the edge and had faced death many times, but he had always managed to stay two steps ahead of his adversaries, or so he thought.  Apparently, he had made a vital mistake along the way, or someone had betrayed him. He would find out, and that person would pay, but for now, he needed to get to Paris or he could lose everything, and everyone.

That thought brought him back to the person his choices had placed in imminent danger, Marioselle. She was being targeted because he loved her. How could he not? She was the most beautiful, courageous, intelligent young women he had ever laid eyes upon. She was also Jonathon's half-sister.

Marioselle had been through so much heartache and hardship in her young life already that he couldn't stomach the thought of causing her any more pain.

Her father, the murderous rogue, and former Viscount Sutton had not only caused Sean's family to suffer, but he had also nearly destroyed Marioselle and her mother's lives as well. Thankfully the bastard was dead now, and Marioselle was free.

She lived in Paris with her mother, and grandparents, living the life she was born to.

Her grandpere was a banker, and supporter of the French king, Louis Phillippe, the Duke of Orleans. He was one of the wealthiest and most powerful men in Paris. She could have any man she wanted, but she loved him.

Sean had always known how she felt about him. She had been five and ten when she first declared her feelings for him. He had felt the same way and declared his love as well, but he had been a young man himself, and they lived an ocean apart. He also needed to make his way as a man first.

He had seen her from time to time when he came to France, but he tried to stay away for the most part. He thought that with time her love for him would fade, and she would find someone from her exalted circle of friends and courters.

In fact, the last letter he received from his brother-in-law said she was being courted by a count, and that she seemed happy. It had infuriated him to no end, but he had promised himself to give her the time she needed. Well, at least until tomorrow, he thought ironically, as he was about to break that promise, and turn her life upside down once again.

He sighed to himself, finished packing his bag, and headed to the stables. There was no time for regrets. He needed to leave now, he could think on the ride to Paris. If he hurried he would get there in time for her birthday ball, the one he hadn't planned on attending.