Chapter 2

Meanwhile, in Paris, Marioselle was upstairs getting ready for her party. Today was her twenty first birthday. All she really wanted was a small affair, a few select friends and family, but her grandparents had been insistent on a ball.

It wasn't that she was ungrateful for their generosity, she just didn't like all of the attention. She would have preferred a intimate gathering, one where she didn't feel as if she were on display. Which was exactly what this ball was truly about.

It was all about finding her a husband. According to society standards she was a bit long in the tooth. Her grandparents were worried that she was already firmly on the shelf. They felt she should have already been married. It didn't matter how she felt.
She loved her grandparent's but they were old fashioned, they didn't believe in marrying for love. Their's had been an arranged marriage, although in time they had found love and respect for each other.

Her grandfather was also quick to point out her mother's disastrous marriage. She had married for love and it had almost killed her," he had warned. She could see their point, but an arranged marriage could still have the same outcome. Her father's first wife, Jonathon's mother, had experienced heartache as well. Life had no guarantees, therefore she would make her own choices when it came to hers.

If she was fortunate enough to make her own choice, she knew exactly who that would be. However, considering he hadn't accepted the invitation to attend tonight, she was quite certain his feelings had changed. It was obvious that he no longer felt the same as she did. His visits became fewer, and farther apart over the last two years, and the tone in his letters had become pragmatic, almost indifferent.

His last letter had simply stated his regrets that he would not be able to attend her birthday celebration, nothing more, nothing less. It had been the final straw for Marioselle.

She had cried for hours, than afterwards had resolved to move on with her life. It hadn't been easy, in fact, she was still mooning over him. Well, she thought determinedly, enough was enough. It was her birthday after all, and she was going to have a good time, regardless of Sean O'Brien.

"Mademoiselle, I 'ave your dress ready"

Her lady's maid Yvette said, standing there holding up the white, frilly concoction. Marioselle stood up and stared at the layers of frills and flounce, and scrunched her nose at the offending gown. What had she been thinking, allowing her grandmere to pick out her dress? Of course, in all honesty she really hadn't been.

At the time she was so crestfallen over Sean's rejection letter, that she hadn't cared what she wore. However, now all that had changed, and this catastrophe wouldn't do at all. No, she concluded, shaking her head and tapping her finger to her lips in contemplation, it just wouldn't do. She needed something vibrant, something daring, and definitely not virtuous, schoolgirl white. Virtuous, she may be, but a school girl she wasn't. This was, after all her twenty first birthday, not her coming out.

"Madamoiselle, iz there zomething wrong?"

"Yes, Yvette. I'm afraid their has been a change of plans. I wont be wearing that tonight!" she said pointing to the dress.

"Oui, Madamoiselle, I understand. 'Owever, your grandmere may not."

"I will deal with grandmere, do not fret. I know exactly what I shall wear," she said rushing over to the wardrobe.

After sorting through various silks and muslin, she found the very gown she was looking for. It was tucked in the very back, forgotten. She had purchased the gown while out shopping with her friends. At the time it had been a lark to buy the daring garment, however she never thought she would have the nerve to wear it. Until now. It was exactly what she needed.

The gown was cut in the latest empire style, and was made from the loveliest shade of fuschia silk. It was all the rage in Paris for the married women, but considered inappropriate for an unmarried one. She could see why as she stood looking into the mirror. The puffed sleeves hung slightly off her bare shoulders, and the bodice was cut so low that it enhanced her modest breast rather significantly. It was quite scandalous really.

Yvette had protested in earnest, but in the end Marioselle won out. Even though she herself had reservations, but she refused to give up her plans. She was determined to make this a night she would never forget.

As Yvette was finishing up with her hair, her mother entered the room. Her stomach suddenly dropped and her resolve began to waver under her mother's scrutiny. Then her mother smiled and embraced her.

"Oh, my darling. You look absolutely beautiful," she said as she stretched her arms out to get another look at her.
"Ah, but there is something missing, oui?"

Marioselle looked at her maman in question. Frowning she wondered what she had missed.

"Oh! Cherie', do not worry your pretty little head. I shall back in a moment." Then she turned and glided out the door.

Marioselle looked to Yvette for answers, but the young maid simply shrugged her shoulders in response. Marioselle turned once again to the mirror, however she could not for the life of her see what she may have forgotten.

A few minutes later her mother returned carrying a square ivory box. She set it upon the vanity table and opened it to reveal a necklace interwoven with diamonds and magenta stones. There was a matching bracelet and earrings as well.

"Oh! Maman, they are exquisite. Wherever did you get these? I've never seen you wear them before."

"They belonged to my grandmere, cherie'. They were her favorite. It appears you have inherited her taste for color," she said with a teasing smile. "They are the only jewels that your father was unable to get his hands upon.

Thankfully, your grandmere had them locked away. She had planned on giving them to me on my wedding day. Of course, when I ran away to marry your father, she hadn't been able to. Of that, I am most pleased, for as you can see they were meant for you, my darling.
Your grandmother gave them to me when we returned from England. And now I am giving them to you, Marioselle," she said, as she draped them around her neck.

They matched the gown perfectly. It had been fate she decided, to have chosen this particular gown.

Marioselle wiped the tears away that began falling down her cheeks. Her mother was everything to her, and she had been through so much at the hands of her father. Yet she had remained the kindest, most loving person Marioselle had ever known. Her father hadn't managed to break her, though not from lack of trying. She was a strong woman. A woman Marioselle admired, and would always strive to emulate.

"Thank you, maman. I will cherish them always," she said, embracing her mother as more tears streamed down her eyes.

"Non! Enough of these tears my child. It is a happy day, oui? Let us find your grandparents. I believe your guests shall be arriving soon."

"Oh, dear! Do you think grandmere will be angry that I'm not wearing the gown she chose?"

"Non. Do not worry, I will deal with your grandmere. Now come, or you will be late for your own ball.

Marioselle giggled and followed her mother out. It was going to be the best night of her life.