Chapter 5

Sean had been led to the parlour by the promised footman, and waited patiently for Marioselle to arrive. Her mother had kept her promise it would seem.
     However, Sean was quite sure Albine was expecting a proposal from him. Lord, how he wished it was that simple. He would propose in an instant if the situation were different. Instead he would be conveying her daughter off to England to save her from his own folly.
     He stood and watched out the parlour window, listening to the orchestra play the Minute Waltz, by Chopin. It was a lovely piece, and the first waltz he had composed. It was Sean's favorite.
     He could hear the merriment of the guests beyond the door. The ball was a success. For that he was pleased. Marioselle deserved to be happy and accepted by society.
     Many of the attendees had ventured from afar just to be there. The room was filled with dignitaries and Society's elites. Of course, none of them dared miss an event hosted by Jacques Lafitte.  He was a very important man. Anyone deemed worthy of an invite would not forgo the opportunity to be seen in such company. They all wanted it to be known to the rest of society, that they had been recieved. It was the way of the elite, and the ruling class.
     Whilst it was required of him in his position as a diplomat to socialize in these circles, he wanted no part of it in his everyday life. He preferred an unconventional way of living, less structured and informal.  Like his family.  Although, they were part of the English aristocracy, they were an exception to the rule.
    They were far from traditional, and they didn't conform to society's rigorous standards, and neither did many of their close friends.  Such as, the Duke and Duchess of Pemberton.   
     Sean missed them all terribly. However, it looked as if he would be seeing them soon, as he would require their assistance in keeping Marioselle safe.
     He didn't want to involve them as they would be placed in danger as well. However, he knew that if anything were to happen to Marioselle without informing them, they would never forgive him.  And that he couldn't live with.  He would have to tell them everything.
     Suffice it to say, his time with the Ministry would come to an end. Now that his identity had been exposed, he would no longer be able to assume anonymity. Those in high positions would no longer speak confidentially in his presence. It was an indignity he would have to bear.

    The door opened to reveal a suprised Marioselle. She was alone. Apparently she wasn't expecting Sean. Was she disappointed? The thought crossed his mind. Perhaps she had hoped for the Count?   
     The man had indicated that everyone was anticipating the announcement. Maybe he should allow it to happen. If she married the Count then the Black Cobra would surely leave her alone.  After all she would no longer be connected to Sean.
     However, that was not a certainty. Everyone in his life knew how important she was to him, regardless if she felt the same. Killing her would still destroy him, and that was what his enemy wanted most. He couldn't afford to risk it.
     "Sean? What are you doing here? Your letter said..."
     Sean cut her sentence off by crossing the space between them and taking her into his arms. He embraced her for a minute, inhaling the sweet aroma that was her. She smelled of a mixture of lavender and vanilla. Her own personal scent.
     He pulled back from the embrace, touching her face with his fingertips, tracing the line of her jaw and her plump, strawberry red lips. Lips that were now slightly parted in sensual arousal. It was all so intoxicating that he couldn't hold off a minute longer. He pulled her back into his arms and brought his lips down to hers.
      Passion drove him to the brink as Marioselle extended her hands upward and began running her fingers through the hair at the nape of his neck. He nearly lost control before breaking contact and turning away to compose himself.
     After several deap breaths, he finally turned back around, to a reaction he should have expected. Marioselle's beautiful eyes were filled with a mixture of hurt and rage.  She began hurling insults at him, alternating between French and English.  He winced at her last comment, as unfortunately for him, he understood French.
    He felt like a heel for playing with her emotions.   He needed to explain himself without digging himself a deeper grave.  "You are correct Madamoiselle, I am a Connard, and everything else you have deemed me. My actions were unacceptable."
     It was true, he accepted it. He was a Bastard, as she had called him. He had taken liberties where none were granted. He was the one who had broken her heart.
     His last letter had said very little, but it had been enough. He had set her free, and she had by all indications moved on. And now here he was, acting as if nothing had changed between them.    
     In all fairness, it couldn't be helped. She was in danger, and that was his fault as well, but by God he loved her.  He always had, and always would.
     "I know you weren't expecting me. I am aware that you have moved on with your life, and that you intend to marry the Count. But I cant let that happen.  At least not at the moment.

There are circumstances beyond my control. You must leave with me to England immediately. I will explain everything to you once we get to safety. Sadly, because of my actions your life is now danger. If you wish to return to marry the Count I will see you to the altar myself.  However, I need you to trust me right now.  I will do everything in my power to keep you safe."

     Marioselle stood silently listening in disbelief, to what Sean had to say.  Her life was in danger? How could that be? She was a debutante for crying out loud. Yes, she knew many who were selfish and self absorbed. However, they were no threat to anyone save some poor maid suffering her charges rath, but threatening? 
      Although...? A thought occurred to her, it could be possible. She was the granddaughter of a very powerful man. Could someone be after her, to extort money from him? Sean however, had said it was because of his actions.  Drat! This was all so bloody confusing.
     She listened as he continued his little speech, and the next thing he said, suprised her even more. Marry the Count? Was he daft? She had never intended on marrying that puffed up, arrogant baffoon. Wherever did he get that idea? Had her mother told him that? Was that why he was really here?
     No. That wasn't it. Sean would never lie about something so terrible.

"Marioselle! Have you not heard a word I've said?" Sean nearly yelled at her, breaking her thought process.
     "What?" She blinked, returning from her contemplation, to ask him what he was saying. Though, in truth, she had heard everything he had said. So she answered him.
     "Oui, of course I have been listening to you. It's just too much for one to comprehend. First, you tell me you will not be attending tonight. Then you appear out of nowhere telling me my life is in danger, while spouting some nonsense about me marrying Count Durand. Have you lost all of your good sense, Sean? I have no intention to marry anyone.  At least not at the moment.  What I don't understand is why anyone would wish me ill will.  Do you know who it is?"
     "An enemy of mine. It is a long story, and one I do not wish to tell at the moment, as I can't take the chance that someone may overhear us. There are too many people around. But we must leave here, tonight. Will you come with me, or do I need to take you forcibly? Because I promise Marioselle, I will not leave here without you.
     Marioselle's eyes widened as her mouth formed into a perfect 'o'. She was so shocked by his threat, and caveman mentality, all she could manage to do was nod her head in answer.
     "Am I correct in assuming you will come with me?" He asked, smiling to himself, as her denial of her intentions to marry the Count had finally registered in his thick head.
     "Yes.  I will go with you?"