Chapter 17

Williams had just returned to to his cabin to clean up and get a bite to eat when he heard a commotion outside his door. Sighing, he opened it up to see what all the fuss was about. Marioselle's maid Yvette was bustling towards him in a frenzied state, waving a hankerchief in front of her. She nearly tripped over the hem of her skirts in her panic stricken attempt to reach him.

"Doctuer! Doctuer Williams! You must come quickly. Zomthing is wrong!"

"Calm yourself, dear lady." He said, placing a hand upon her shoulder, then waited a moment until the young maid caught her breath. "Better?" The girl nodded her head yes in response, and held her hand to her chest while she collected her thoughts. "Now, tell me what has happened?"

"Oui, merci. It is Monsieur O'Brien. 'E iz hot to ze touch, 'ow do you say it, 'E is on fire?"

"You mean he is burning up?"

"Oui! Zat iz it! You must hurry, 'e iz crying out for milady."

"Let me get my bag. You go back, I'll be right behind you," he said, as he turned and went back into his room. The flustered maid had rushed back towards O'brien's cabin. It looked as if dinner would have to wait a little while longer, he frowned as his stomach groaned in protest. Duty however, came first.

********

The prognosis wasn't at all good. Sean was definitely burning up. Delirium had set in from his high fever. So much so, that one of the burlier seaman had to hold him steady for Williams to examine him. Thaddeus, his given name, was at his wits end. He had tried everything he knew to bring down the fever, but to no avail. He felt helpless, even more so as he looked to Marioselle's faithful servant. The hapless girl stood worryingly next to the bed wringing her hankerchief between her hands.

"Iz 'e going to die?"

"I honestly can't say. I've tried everything save bleeding the poor man, and that's something I simply refuse to do. It's nothing short of ignorance. I never understood how taking ones life blood from their body could possibly heal them. It's an antiquated practice performed by those with rudimentary medical skills at best."

He said a bit to vehemently, causing the maid to physically recoil. He hadn't meant to scare her, but the topic of unqualified physicians had always been a sore one for him. He apologized for his lapse in decorum, then stood up and stretched his aching muscles. As he walked towards the door, he turned and addressed the girl once more. "Miss? It's going to be a long night. The two of us will take turns watching over him. If you would take the next hour I will be eternally grateful. I'll send up someone with a tray for you, and some fresh water to bath his brow. I'm afraid that his life is out of my hands. If you're a God fearing woman, I suggest you start praying. He's going to need all the help he can get." With that said, he walked out the door.

********

U Aung had managed to track down Chen Li's home, her masion de tolerance, or as the English would call it; a brothel. Marioselle was astounded when the carriage stopped in front of the house. It was surprisingly elegant, and located in a prominent part of Paris. The Louvre was practically next door. In fact, Marioselle had just visited the King's museum a week earlier. Ironically she had been a guest of the Count's. She nearly snorted in derision at the thought. The man was simply repulsive. It was no wonder she had always felt something off putting about him. She would do well in the future to trust her instincts more often.

The outside of the two story brick masion looked like all the other homes flanking its walls. However, she imagined the inside to be quite spectacular. Unfortunately for her, she would never know. Ian had made her promise to stay in the carriage with Aung, while he went to the door to inquire if Li had returned. They really didn't expect that she had. Li would be leary to return home to wait for an assassination attempt. They simply figured they might gain a clue to her whereabouts. It was a long shot, but it was worth a try. After all, they had nothing to lose at this point.

Ten minutes later the carriage door opened. Ian had returned and climbed inside. Marioselle noticed the look of disappointment in his eyes. "I'm going assume she wasn't there judging by the look upon your face."

"Your assumptions are correct. The butler said she hasn't returned yet from her outing tonight."

"Do you believe him?"

"I do. However, someone has been here. Someone with enough authority to scare the servants into silence and shut the place down. A brothel, especially one as renowned as this, rarely closes, unless their is something scandalous attached. They wouldn't want to risk losing their influential clientele. The slightest hint of scandal will send them running to another establishment."

Marioselle snorting in indignation. "As if a man visiting a house of ill repute wasn't inappropriate as it is."

Ian shook his head in empathy. "I agree with your sentiment, Marioselle. Unfortunately those in power do not see it that way, including the king of France. The men certainly don't, and sadly the women are not regarded as important enough to matter, and some simply don't care."

The topic was something that truly disturbed her. She would love to discuss it at greater length, perhaps even find a solution. However, they needed to focus on why they were sitting outside this den-of-iniquity in the first place. "Where should we go from here? Aung?" She addressed their other passenger who was quietly sitting opposite of her. "What do you recommend?"

Aung didn't respond immediately. He looked as if he was contemplating the matter, so Marioselle gave him a moment to consider her question. When he suddenly spoke up she nearly jumped in anticipation. She was most definitely wound up over the entire matter. Her worries for Sean and finding Chen Li had her nerves on edge.

"Milady. You said that this Chen Li was at your birthing day celebration, correct?"

"Yes, that is correct."

"How would one arrive to such an illustrious event?"

"Well, depending on status or circumstances most would come by carriage. Others a hired coach or hackney. Why do you ask?"

"Would someone of Madame Lee's status or circumstance have hired a hackney, or would she have her own carriage?"

"Hmm. I believe, I know where you are going with this Aung." Said Ian. "Someone of Madame Lee's status would indeed have their own carriage and driver. She would need one for discretionary purposes. It also provides her with ample means to travel at any given time. Someone with her talents would be expected to come and go at a moments notice, and who better to know where she goes than her driver."

"Percisely. We find the driver, we find your assassin."