Chapter 25

Sean felt ready. After several rounds of sparring with Aung. His body felt stronger, faster, more in sync with his mind, balanced and harmonious.   Honestly he hadn't felt this good in months. Spying was taking its toll on his mental state, and he was homesock for England.   He had to admit, staying away from Marioselle had taken its toll on his spirit as well.  Just being around her again had made him feel more alive.

He had her back now, well figuratively speaking that was.  At the moment he had no idea where the stubborn chit had taken herself off too.  Marioselle had a knack for finding trouble, though under the best of intentions.  He just prayed he wouldnt be too late in finding her.  He also hoped that she wasn't alone, that Chen Li had caught up to her.

One thing he knew for certain was that if Semonville dared to touch even a hair upon her head, he would kill him.

"Sean!" Ian called out from helm. Sean looked up in answer.  He had been practicing from the deck below. 

"We should be leaving soon."

"Yes, about that. I've been thinking and I believe you should stay behind to move the ship."

"Whatever for? Nobody will connect the Eclipse to you. She is a Wales Merchant ship"

"To me no, but to England yes.  She may run out of the ports of Wales but she sails under British protection. We can't take any chances. Sémonvilles reach is long.  Should he even suspect, he could have this ship impounded, then we will have no way out of France.  One word from him to the king about who I am, and we all be imprisoned for crimes  against France and hung by the neck."

"Yes, well that doesn't sound at all pleasant now does it?" He asked, rather jokingly, yet Sean knew the man didn't take the situation they were facing lightly.  "I'll go and prepare the crew to move out.  Godspeed my friend.  We will wait for you at the Port of Harfleur."

"Godspeed to you as well Ian.  Should something go wrong I shall send a messenger.  Promise me, my friend,  that you will return to England at once?  You know as well as I, if you stay, you risk being arrested as well.  Also, if I may ask it of you, please give this missive to my brother-in-law Jonathon.  He will know what to do with it."

"It is not my way to run from a fight, of that you well know, but I will do as you ask of me.  I understand too well, that should you get caught, Jonathon may be the only one who can assist you.  However, I have faith in you Sean, as well as the ladies.  They are a formidable pair, and I would not wish to gain their wrath or go against them on any day." He chuckled, slapping Sean upon his back.  "Now go, be gone with ye! I'll wait until I hear otherwise, though I'd prefer you return whole and hearty."

********

Sean walked down the ships ganplank.  He spotted Aung waiting for him next to an enclosed carriage, a driver waiting patiently at the ready.  A hired coach, more the better for obscurity.

Every fiber of his being begged him to run, however he had to remain calm, and walk steadily. Running would only gain the attention of those who kept watch of the docks for the excise men, or anyone else who might inquire, such as the organization. 

He hadn't worried about any of them recognizing him as he had taken pains to disguise his appearance adequately.  The enclosed carraige would add extra protection from curious eyes as they transversed across town to Sémonville's home.  Their main adjective being to find the ladies first, then come up with a plan together to save Mei.

As the carriage made it's way through the busy streets of Paris, he and Aung discussed various aspects of Sémonvilles estate.  Since Aung had already surveilled the grounds, he was more aware of what they were up against. 

The estate itself didn't seem to be guarded as well as the actual living quarters, from Aungs account.  Sean deduced it would have to be a stealth advance and one particularly performed with some sort of diversion. Of course Sémonville was an intelligent man.  Any attempt at a manmade diversion would only put him on high alert, aiding in their capture.  It would not do, once they found Marioselle and Chen Li, they would think of something.

They at least had the element of suprise on their side, he thought positively.  The man hadn't been aware they were still in France.  The only one he would be expecting was Chen Li, and for that he wouldn't need an army, just himself.  Sean was counting on the man's arrogance for the latter.

The man had trained Chen Li, so naturally he would assume he could defeat her himself.  The student after all, could not beat the teacher.  It was this train of thought that had put many a master down.  Sean had learned early on that there was always someone better than himself.  It was that form of thinking that had kept him alive for this long.

Aung cleared his throat, bringing Sean back to the present.  "I'm sorry, you were saying?"

"If I may milord, I believe I know of a way to find the ladies, if you will hear me out."

"Yes. Yes, of course, please proceed. Anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  Aung, I am a simple man, I do not stand on pomp and ceremony.  Please feel free to speak your mind with me."

"Thank you, I see you are a fair and honarable man.  As I was saying, I may have some idea on how to find Lady Marioselle and Chen Li.  We will need to turn around however, and return to the brothel."

"Say no more, Aung.  Driver, turn around!" Sean yelled as he opened the carraige window. "Head to Rue de Rivoli, maison de tolérance, please."