Chapter 38

Chen Li was not afraid. She knew she could beat the Marquis.  He may have taught her every move he knew, but he wasn't responsible for every move she knew.  What he wasn't aware of is that she had found another master of the arts to instruct her.  The man's skills had been way beyond the Marquis'. He had shown her maneuvers that had challenged her, yet in the long run it had been worth it. 

Her youth was another factor he should have considered.  He was forty-five years her senior.  She was faster and  her endurance was stronger as well.  However, she didnt take that knowledge for granted.   The Marquis was old, but he was still in remarkable shape.  He should be, she thought rather angrily, considering his intense training sessions. 

She remembered those all too well.  With an angry growl of disgust, she shook off the errant thought and swung her fist towards his head.  She missed as he ducked right.  She needed to stay focused.  The Marquis was beginning to lose stamina, but one wrong move could cost her everything.  She decided to beat him at his own game.

"Feeling a bit tired old man?" She teased.  It sounded childish to provoke  him, however, psychologically it would distract him.   It was a trick he often used against his own enemies.   In fact, it was one of the first things he taught her, although she had learned that lesson the hard way. 

One day while sparring against him, he had started with the taunting.  He had said terrible things. Things that he would do Mei.  The gibes had worked.  She had been so angry that she lost all concentration and attacked.  The unplanned mistep had caused her to let her guard down. The Marquis had used the opening to connect with her head. She had lost consciousness that day, and when she woke up she had been chained to the wall.  There she had remained for two days.  It was a lesson she had never forgotten and had sworn to avenge.

"I know what you are trying to do Chen Li.  It will not work on me.   I am your master, remember? I'm not one of your targets.  tch..tch..tch.."   He taunted her.  "How soon the student forgets."

"I was never your student.  I was your slave, your project, your weapon of destruction.  A true educator doesn't harm their charges. They mold them, teach them right from wrong.  You have done none of that. You are a wretched  human being, and you sir have used all of us for the last time.  This ends today Lord Sémonville. This ends now!" She screamed as she lept up, twisted in mid air, and kicked him square in the jaw. The force from the blow was so strong it snapped his neck on impact.  His limp form crashed to the ground.   She stood there frozen in place, almost in shock, until she heard a scream from behind her.

"Murderer!"  Guards arrest her at once. She has killed the Marquis.  She has k
Murdered my husband."

The guards didn't move.  Instead Chen Li watched as the they parted for the king of France.  Her eyes grew wide as he made his way towards her.  She was as good as dead.  She immediately dropped to her knees to beg for her life.

"You may rise my child.  You are not going to be arrested today or any day."

She looked up at the kings soft compassionate face and stood up in front of him.  Confusion etched upon her face.  The crowd parted once more as Sean and two other men began walking in their  direction.  What was going on? She wondered to herself. She had just murdered a Marquis. A lord of the realm.  Surely, she would face Madame guillotine or at the very least, imprisonment.

"Gentleman," the king acknowledged their presence.  "I do believe someone has a lot of explaining to do.  The Viscount informed me of the basics,  however, I am most certain Mr. O'Brien would be able to shed more light on this regrettable situation."

"I would be honored to gain your reception your majesty."

"Very well.  You shall join me at Fontainebleau, where we will discuss this matter in private." He said loudly, as he looked out at all of the guests who were now standing there, mouth's agape and speachless."

"We will be there your Majesty." Replied the older of the two men.  The younger man next to him smiled her way and winked.  She colored from the gesture and turned back towards the king who was now departing.  She couldn't believe she was still standing there, free. The guards were walking away, leaving her there, unshackled.  Had the  king of France just pardon her? Was he granting her freedom.  Just then, A small female voice, fraught with worry, interrupted her thoughts. 

"Chen Li, are you well?  You are not hurt are you?" Asked a very concerned Mei.

Her head snapped up at the sound of her beloved sister's question.  Her youthful, smiling eyes were swollen and cloudy, her once cherub face drawn and hollow cheeked.  She had suffered during her captivity.

Anger swept over her face at sight of her.  It was quickly replaced however with relief.  The Marquis was gone, forever.  The organization would finally be brought to justice.   They were going to be fine.  Mei was safe and unharmed, she would bounce back from her ordeal.   Filled with emotions she had never felt before, she immediately grabbed her sister by the arms and pulled her into her chest.  There, in front of everyone, including the king of France, they both wept with happiness.  It was finally over, they were free.