Chapter 35

Sean had finally convinced the ladies to get back into the carriage.   They all agreed to follow through with the plan.

He turned away from the ladies just in time to notice a couple of riders heading their way.

"Damn blast it!" He needed to get Marioselle and Li out of sight. There was no telling who the riders were, but he had an idea of where they were headed. He gave a short, low whistle, one he hoped they would hear, yet not loud enough to alert the approaching men. The whistle had worked. Aung immediately pushed the two women into the brush and began walking slowly towards the carriage. He had just managed to climb up and grab the reigns from Sean when the riders came to a halt beside them.

"Bonjour, and a good day to you. Is everything alright. Can we be of any assistance?" Asked the gentleman to the right of him.

Sean answered the man. "Bonjour, gentlemen. Thank you for the offer of assistance, but we are in no need of help at this time. I'm afraid our mistress was feeling a bit unwell, forcing us to pull over.  Carriage rides have never quite agreed with miladys delicate constitution.  Comprehende'?" He asked as he looked from one man to the other.  He was studying each face for future reference. 

"I must admit that unfortunately, this is something we are well accustomed to dealing with. I assure you, gentlemen, we shall be on our way again in no time at all."

"Splendid, we too shall continue on.  Au revoir, then."

"Au revoir!" Sean called out to their retreating backs, waving goodbye to no one in particular. The men had dismissed him that quickly. To them, he was simply a servant, no one to be bothered with. However, the carriage alone signified the wealth and importance of its owner, so honor had bound them to stop. After all, had it been someone important inside, then passing without offering aide would have been considered uncivilized. If they had only known who was truly inside the coach things certainly would have been interesting, he smiled, laughing to himself.

He was glad they hadn't asked to speak with his mistress, as he had hoped they wouldn't after his comment. He was quite certain that the mention of his Lady's illness was enough to keep them from sticking around to verify his story. Besides, they were in a hurry and on their way to a party. It wouldn't do to soil their clothes or be late for just anyone. Sean was quite certain they were not interested in damsels in distress anyway. They had other plans for the evening, plans Sean was more than happy to destroy.

He was so caught up in his thoughts he hadn't noticed that Marioselle was now standing by his side and Li was nowhere to be seen.  The woman was truly remarkable at slipping in and out of places without being noticed.  She was one of the best adversaries he had ever been up against.  Thank God she was on their side now. 

As for Marioselle, she was becoming quite adept at this game as well.  however, if Sean had his way she would never again be put in harm's way.  Once this was all over they would marry and settle down in England.  Maybe start a family as well.  He smiled at the thought of a little girl with auburn hair and blue eyes running around the estate.   

"Care to share what you find so amusing?" asked Marioselle, as she looked up at him with those beautiful blue eyes he was just daydreaming about.

He looked down at her and smiled.  "Nothing and everything.  Just thinking about our future."

"Our future?  Would you care to elaborate further?"

"Not at the moment.  However, when all of this is over we are going to have a long...  talk."

If looks could kill he would be dead.  Marioselle had leveled him with a severe scowl, threw her hands up into the air, and muttered something about 'long talks' as she stormed away.  What was that all about he wondered?  He would have thought most women would be excited to talk about their future with the man they loved.  Had he said something wrong?  Possibly, he considered.  After all, Marioselle wasn't your average female.  She had been through a lot in her young life and she was extremely independent.  Maybe that was the issue. Did she think he would be one of those demanding, controlling husbands?  She couldn't possibly believe that.  Could she?  He was her strongest supporter.  

 He sighed loudly, then climbed onto the back of the carriage.    "Proceed Aung"  he yelled, and the carriage started for the Marquis' estate.  It was time to finish this once and for all.  He just prayed they all made it out unscathed.