Chapter 27

When Marioseelle stepped outside the little cottage she was completely caught by suprise. A lad who didn't look more than twelve summers, stood holding the reigns to a horse drawn carraige.

"However did you manage this? I don't remember seeing a stable when we arrived."

"Lady Marioselle, allow me to introduce young Thomas. Thomas this is Lady Marioselle" she said, waving a hand in the lads direction. Thomas giggled at the pomp and ceremony, removed his hat and executed a perfect little bow. "c'est un plaisir de vous rencontrer."

"It is a pleasure to meet you as well Thomas," Marioselle answered back in french. Although she spoke perfect English most of the commoners in France hadn't learned the language.

Thomas turned back to Chen Li in question. "Madamoselle, I do not understand. She doesn't look like a lady, but she speaks like one."

"Thomas," scolded Li, "mind your manners. Lady Marioselle is a guest. If you must know, she is in disquise. I can assure you that she is indeed a fine lady. In fact, her grandpiere is one of the wealthiest men in France. She is also very kind. You are to treat her with respect, do I make myself clear?"

Chastised thoroughly Thomas hung his head for his shameful remark, peaked up through his dark curly lashes, and apologized remorsfully to Marioselle. She lightly touched his chin to tilt his head up. "I understand Thomas, but remember, even one of Madame Lee's girls deserves your esteem. Always treat people with kindness no matter what their station in life is. Some people do not have a choice in their way of life. You will understand this better as you grow." She smiled then ruffled his dark, curly hair, before turning back to Li and repeating her original question. How did she accomplish all of this? Chen Li smiled in return and began to explain.

"Thomas's mother, Molly, is what you might call an acquaintance of sorts."

"You mean an informant?"

"Oui, however nothing too dangerous. She owns a small cottage around the bend. Her husband passed away two winters ago. She takes in laundry and runs a small seamstress shop in town. Sadly, it isn't quite enough to provide for three young children. So, to help keep a roof over their tiny heads, she keeps her ear to the ground, in a manner of speaking, and reports anything out of the ordinary to me. As for the horse and carraige, I keep them in her barn and I pay young Thomas here to care for them. Molly, also makes my personal clothing as well as a few other things I might need out of necessity, things I can not order from a Paris seamstress, such as my Saam's. Too many questions and rumors would follow. A seamstress shop is well known for loose tongues. Horrible place, especially for a whore. Though I must admit I have garnered considerable Intel from them throughout the years."

"Yes, well I could certainly imagine you have. I've been the target of their vicious gossip for years. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

"It sounds to me like you take very good care of Molly and her children. You're not quite the hardened assassin he has tried to make you into," she said with a small smile and a gentle touch to Li's sleeve."

"Thank you, Lady Marioselle. As always you are most kind. Unfortunately, I have done some very dishonorable things. I'm afraid my mother would not be proud of her eldest daughter."

Before Marioselle could refute her statement however, Chen Li had managed to change the subject. "Thomas will take us to the mansion now. S'il vous plaît, after you milady." she said, waving Marioselle into the carriage, but before she entered she turned back to the lad and spoke quitely to him in French. "Now remember Thomas, you are to return home as soon as you drop us off. You are not to follow me this time. Comprendre?"

"Oui, Madamoiselle."

"Very good, Thomas. Now please be certain to give this to your maman," she instructed the young man as she pressed a bag of coins into the palm of his hand. The lad then scurried up into the drivers seat, grabbed the reigns and shouted down once Chen Li closed the carriage door.

"Madamoiselle, on ya va?"

"Oui, Thomas, we shall leave now."

"Do you think he will truly listen this time, and not follow?"

"I wish I could be a hundred percent certamente that he wouldn't. Sadly I cannot. However, this time I will be aware if he does, before it's too late."

Marioselle gasped at the connotation behind her words. "What do you mean, 'this time's and 'before it's too late'?"

Chen Li sighed. This wasn't a story she wanted to share, but she owed lady Marioselle an explanation. "A year ago, Thomas being the curious young lad that he is, decided to follow me on one of my assignments. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of this. Thomas was captured by my enemy and tortured. When I finally found him it had almost been too late. They had beaten the lad nearly to death. The young fool would not tell them where I was. I was able to save him, but unfortunately I wasn't able to save the tiny pup he had been carrying with him. Even faced with the pups drowning he refused to give up my whereabouts. I will be forever in his debt for his sacrifice that day. His family will never have to worry about money again, as I have taken care of matters for them. However, out of respect, I still let him take care of my horse and carriage. He is a proud young man, no? Besides it is good for him to learn an honest days work, Oui?

"Oui. He is a very special little boy, and very fortunate to have met you."

"Non, milady. It is I who am most fortunate. I am most fortunate indeed," she said as she turned silently towards her window. Marioselle gave her the privacy she needed and looked outside the window next to her. They would be to the masion soon, then the real test would begin. She just prayed she could pass it.