Chapter 33

Sean stood there waiting patiently for Marioselle to tell him what had transpired inside the carriage.  The little minx was feigning female embarrassment, but Sean knew her better than that.  "Well, what do you have to say for yourself?"  Sean immediately regretted his words.  Marioselle's head snapped up and one could see the fire in her eyes.   He had done it now.

"Me? You are pinning this on me? Why that...that thing over there," she said angrily waving her hand towards the blonde chit.  "Why, she's just horrid! She's a lying, conniving little witch!

Sean's eyes nearly popped out of his head listening to the scandalous words rolling off of Marioselle's tongue.  He had known Marioselle for years.  She spent time in an alehouse among prostitutes.   It was there that she had learned the vulgar words, so her use of colorful language was nothing new to his ears.   The anger in which she was using it really had him worried though.  It wasn't like Marioselle.  She was genuinely kind and patient, to those who were less fortunate than her, especially ladies like these.  Had Marcus not been her first dupe, and brought her to her brother Johnathan she may have ended up in a similar situation.   Therefore she always tried to help those in need.  At least until now, because at the moment, she wanted nothing but to strangle the blonde temptress.

"Marioselle, darling."

"Don't you darling me you...you rake!"

Sean stepped back as if she had just slapped him across the face.  Hell, a slap would have hurt much less.  What was going on here he didn't know, but one thing was for certain.  He was going to end this and end it once and for all.  He grabbed Marioselle by the arms, pulled her up into his and kissed her soundly.  Somewhere behind him, he heard a "Hmmph!"  He paid it no mind, he had waited too long to do this.

********

Marioselle felt as if she was floating on air.  She had forgotten all about being angry, or what she was even angry about.  Right now, however nothing else mattered. Sean was holding her in his arms kissing the very life out of her.  She couldn't stop breathing now and her heart would still continue beating it was thumping so hard within her chest.  Her feet were starting to tingle as well.  Of course, if she was honest that was probably because of the way Sean was holding her up against him.  Her feet were dangling at least two feet off the ground.  She was must have been losing the circulation in her toes.  Or was it just that tingling feeling she heard most women swoon on about?  Practicality told her it was her circulation, however, she didn't really want to be practical, she just wanted to savor each second that passed.  She was so caught up in his matter she hadn't realized she sighed until she felt Sean's smile against her lips as he broke the kiss.  They stood there several seconds' foreheads touching, trying to catch their breath when a familiar voice interrupted them.

"If you two are done making a spectacle of yourselves, maybe we can get this carriage moving again."

Both Sean and Marioselle spun around at the same time.  "Chen Li?"  They both said in unison.  "Where have you been? We have been so worried about you."

"Yes, I can see that you have." She said, raising her eyebrow for emphasis.   Marioselle could feel the heat rising in her cheeks as she heard the giggles from the girls behind her.  She quickly tucked her head into Sean's lapel to hide her embarrassment though she knew it was too late.  Everyone had already witnessed the searing kiss.

Sean soothed her by rubbing his hand up and down her back.  The action was even more scandalous than the kiss, but she didn't care, she just wanted his comforting touch.  To hell with what everyone else, she thought angrily raising her head and facing them all.  She loved Sean and she was no longer going to be afraid to show it.  She felt Sean slide his hand into hers.  Her resolve strengthened with his loving gesture of support.  "Teasing aside, Chen Li.  Where were you all of this time?"

"I've been with you this whole time.  In there," she pointed to the trunk on the back of the carriage.  "I also heard everything that was said.  Do you ladies have something you want to share? Paulette?"

"Madamoiselle Li, I swear!  I didn't mean anything by it.  I was just 'aving a bit of fun with 'ze lady.  Besides, she got 'er revenge.  It 'iz, 'ow do you say,  finie?"  The girl was nervous, Marioselle could tell as the girls knuckles where white from holding onto her skirts so tight.  Marioselle couldn't blame the girl,  Chen Li wasn't someone to be crossed.

Marioselle shivered just watching the intense look that Chen Li was leveling on the girl.  She almost felt sorry for her, almost.  They needed her if they were going to save Mei.  The only way she wouldn't talk to the Marquis is if she feared someone else more.  Marioselle could tell that someone else was Li.  The girl did have a choice however, she could leave if she wanted.  Sean would still gift her the money he offered her to leave.  She waited with bated breath to see which option the girl would choose.  Thankfully, she didn't have a long wait.  Paulette was walking towards her.