Chapter 22

Sean woke to the sound of muffled voices. He was feeling disoriented and a bit nauseous. Where was everyone? And what on earth was he doing abed in the middle of the day, he wondered.

He knew it was midday as the sun was shining, and he could hear the seagulls whining through the porthole. Had he been asleep here all night? The last thing he remembered was standing on the deck of the Eclipse ready to depart, it had been midnight. He and Marioselle had been in the process of leaving the ship.

They had been going to search for Chen Li. Had something happened to him? Had he been felled, and all memory of the encounter lost to him? He shook his head and ran his hands over his face, a futile endeavor to clear his thoughts.

He heard the whispers again. This time clearer than before. "What in the bloody hell...?" he called out, as he threw his legs over the edge of the bed and attempted to stand. The sudden movement had him grappling for the bed and retching. Thankfully however, for all his nausea nothing came out. He immediately sat back down, putting his head in his hands to cease the swaying, and took deep, even breathes. Feeling slightly less shaky than a minute ago, yet still not steady enough to trust his own strength, he yelled out to the men outside his door.

"Ian! Williams! For God's sake get in here. I'm not dead yet." The captain and the ships doctor came barreling through the door at once. It might have been comical, he thought, watching the two collide, had the situation been different.

"Not for lack of trying you're not. How long have you been awake?" Ian questioned, while sliding a brief glance towards Williams. A look that didn't go unnoticed by Sean.

He was a spy afterall. He had been trained to read a person's emotional responses, as well as their physical ones. Sadly, this time it was painfully obvious that what he overheard was indeed real, and not a product of his imagination. Marioselle was missing, and from what he could ascertain, Chen Li had left to find her.  Apparently she had joined them onboard, and was the reason he was still among the living.

He looked to Ian, then to William's, and back to the captain once more.  He needed answers. "You may as well start from the beginning, only make certain it's the condensed version. If I understand correctly, time is of the essence, although I would prefer to be wrong on that score."

********

Chen Li knew exactly where to find Lady Marioselle.  The young woman had asked her several questions about the Marquis de Sémonvilles' estate this morning.  She had mentioned attending several functions there as well.  That she would be headed there made perfect sense to Li. 

The lady had more courage than sense, however.   The Marquis was not the type of man to let his guard down. He knew Li would come for Mei.  He would be watching and waiting.  The upside would be their only saving grace, and that was he wouldn't be doing the watching himself.  He would leave that to his minions, and that's what she was counting on. 

She found Lady Marioselle right where she expected her to be, crouched low and hiding behind a row of Hornbeam hedges.  She was dressed as a lad in britches, and her long, wavy brown hair was tucked under a tweed cap. Chen Li shook her head in slight amusement.  Anyone with eyes could tell she wasn't a lad of twelve summers.  Her womanly curves were too pronounced to hide.  That was one issue Li never had to worry about when undercover.  Her slight frame, and barely existant breasts weren't difficult to conceal.

Knowing her sudden presence might cause her to cry out in suprise, Chen Li snuck up behind her prepared to cover her mouth.  Unfortunately it handn't gone as well as she planned.  For the first time as an assassin, her stealthy moves had been detected.  Marioselle had incredible instincts, and had been aware of her presence at once.  Many in her place had not been so fortunate. Before Li had a chance to attempt anything, Lady Marioselle had grasped a hold of her arm and flipped her onto her backside.  A move that had stunned Chen Li both physically and mentally.  It was apparent she had misjudged her abilities.   It would seem the lady had a few tricks up her sleeves.

"Wait!" She whispered loudly, looking up, her hand raised to stave off another assult.

"Chen Li?" Marioselle nearly screeched in dismay as she looked down at her attacker, extending her hand for assistance up. "What are you doing here? You were supposed to stay on board the Eclipse and watch over Sean."

"I was.  I did all I can for him at the moment.  However, there is no reason to worry.  His condition is improving, and we should see him up and about soon, but that is not why I am here.   Why didn't you tell us what you were planning to do? We would have assisted you, or at least stopped you from going off alone."

"I know, and that is exactly the reason why I left.  I didn't want anything to happen to any of you."

"I surmised as much, you seem to be quite stubborn in your convictions, as am I, which is why I followed you..."

"Shhhh! Do you hear that? Someone's coming." She announced excitedly, pointing towards the large mansion, while stretching on tiptoe to see over the bush they were presently hiding behind.  Then just as quickly she turned disappointed and dropped back down on her haunches.  "Never mind, it's just the stable master coming back from the kitchens.  That would mean luncheon is over.  We need to do something fast before this place is crawling with guardsmen again."

"We will need a plan.  It's a very large house." 

"I agree, it is much to large for my taste.  I've always disliked it here.  It's like a mausoleum inside, so cold.  I've heard the Marquis spared no expense on additions and renovations.  It's a bit over the top if you ask me."

"Indeed it is.  It's almost as if the man were over compensating for some shortfall." Chen Li replied, more as a statement than a question.  Marioselle stifled a giggle at the reference to the man's less than stellar attributes.  Seconds later however, an errant thought caused her to sober.  She turned to Li with concern.

"He didn't...you know...to you, did he?" She stuttered, uncertain how to approach the subject.

"Oh! No, never!" Li fairly screamed in embarrassment and indignation.  "I would have killed the bastard first.  Unfortunately, for me, I was made to bare witness to his physical shortcomings on several occasions.  He and his vile and twisted wife have a rather unconventional marriage, so to speak.  They like to participate in what you french call a mé·nage à trois."

"Three people? Together? I've heard the term.  Is that really possible?"

Li blushed.  It was a strange emotion as the subject of sex didn't usually bother her.  Talking about it to someone like Lady Marioselle however, made her feel dirty and ashamed.  She decided to change the subject.  "Maybe that's something you should ask your husband?" She answered, raising an eyebrow in mock question. 

Marioselle lowered her eyes in contrition, feeling shameful for her earlier lie.  "You heard about that?"

"I did, but I understand your motives.  I wouldn't feel too guilty, it's probably for the best.  Let the others believe it to be true.  Your reputation could be ruined if anyone were to find out otherwise.  Simply talking to me is social suicide, let alone being an unmarried woman on a ship full of men."

"Yes, well my reputation is the least of my worries at the moment.  One would think society would find it more prudent to be painted a fallen woman, than a dead one."

"I agree with you, but I could hardly compare the two.  I've never been treated as anything other than a harlot, which quite frankly is what I purport myself to be.  That being said however, it wouldn't hurt to still be cautious."

"Yes, well I suppose you have a valid point.   Speaking of caution.  Do you have any ideas on how we should proceed?"