Chapter 11

Sean stood up slowly, all the while keeping his eyes locked on the assassin. A woman. He couldn't believe it. No wonder he had so much trouble identifying his nemesis. All this time he had been looking for a man.

She stood there silently, unmoving. Her expression cold, yet her eyes showing a hint of uncertainty. Why hadn't she killed him when she had the chance? Was she toying with him? Challenging him to make the first move? She could have done it easily, instead she had...the Count! He quickly looked over at the mans motionless form.

"Do not worry about him, he will live, unfortunately. However, he may be immobile for sometime. The drug in that dart will simply make him sleep. Even I'm not fool enough to kill a man of his stature."

"Why?"

"He was going to hurt the Lady. I couldn't allow him to do that."

"I dont understand. You are the Black Cobra, aren't you? Were you not sent to kill the both of us?"

"Yes, to both of your questions. Now I have a question for you, Mr. O'Brien. Why would you care if that man lives or dies? He is a horrible man. He tried to ruin your friend, and force her to marry him."

"I am an agent, not an assassin. It is not for me to decide who lives or dies."

"You have killed before. What is the difference?"

"I have only killed one man, and it was only because he left me no other choice."

"So, you would not kill me? If I let you and Lady Sutton leave, you would not come after me?"

"I would not kill you. I can not however, promise you that I will not hunt you down. It is my duty as an agent of the crown. You are wanted by the English government. Why would you let us leave? I am your enemy."

"No, Mr. O'Brien, or should I call you Blue knight. You are a worthy adversary, but you are not my enemy. I am but a pawn in the war between your countries. A greedy man's slave to use at his disposal. All I wish for is to be free."

"You know my given name, may I ask yours?"

"My name is Li Chen, though most refer to me as Madame Lee. You may call me Li." It felt so good to actually speak her real name for once. No one had ever cared to ask. She felt emotions she had thought she lacked, and wondered if there were more to life than what she had been led to believe. She was a trained killer, it was all she knew. She had never felt empathetic towards her targets before. She only ever loved one other and she could lose her if she let them go, but she couldn't bring herself to stop them.

A groan came from the couch, Marioselle was beginning to stir. Sean wanted to go to her side, but he was afraid to take his eyes off of the assassin. She seemed to be at war with herself. Undecided on her next course of action. This was nothing like the spy that had alluded him for so long. The Black Cobra was exact, and never hesitated.

"She is coming to. Take her and go. I will find another way to gain my freedom."

"I don't..."

"Please, before I change my mind. I will take care of the Count."

"Sean! What happened? Why do I feel..."
Marioselle stopped mid sentence, when she noticed the young woman standing near the parlour doors. Sean it's her...she's the one who..."

"Its alright Marioselle. She's not going to harm us," he said as he made his way over and took hold of her hands. "How do you feel? Do you think you can you walk?"

"I'm a little groggy, but I think I can manage. She drugged me. Why? Why would she do that, and then let us go?"

"I will tell you everything along the way, but we are still in danger. We must hurry now, before he wakes."

Marioselle followed where Sean's eyes were directed, and gasped when she seen Count Durands body sprawled on the floor. He looked broken and bloodied from Sean's fists. "Dear God! What happened to him?"

"Nothing he didn't deserve. It looks worse than it really is. In fact had she not stopped him," he said with a nod towards Chen Li, "I may have killed the bastard myself, for what he was about to do to you. I promise you, I will fill you in on everything that has happened. However, we must leave at once."

As they walked towards the door, Sean stopped in front of Chen Li. "What will happen to you when they find out you let us get away?"

"Nothing that hasn't happened before. I am no longer afraid of them. I would be careful however, they may send someone else after you. I am not the only one."

"I am certain they will. That is why I will return once I get Marioselle to safety. Come with us, I can help you."

"I can not leave Paris. Not yet. I have something I must see too first. Thank you, O'Brien, you are a man of honor. Lady Sutton, I pray you forgive me," She said as she steepled her hands together and bowed. Maybe, I will see you both again someday, as friends, not enemies."

"Goodbye, Li. I'm am in your debt." Sean reached in to his coat pocket and handed her his card. If you ever need anything, anything at all, please do not hesitate to ask. You can find me at this address in London."

"Thank you for your kindness, I may hold you to your promise." Chen Li bowed once more. Goodbye, Mr. O'Brien, Lady Sutton. May Shangdi watch over you both."

Sean turned and watched as Chen Li closed the parlour doors behind her. He must of had a grim look on his face, as it prompted Marioselle to ask the question he could not answer.

"Do you think they will kill her when they find out she aided our escape?"

Sean shook his head from side to side, and looked back one last time as they climbed into the carriage. "I don't know. Something she said keeps playing on my mind. She said she was abducted as a child, and brought to France. Then she said there were more of them, assassins that is. It is possible she wasn't the only child taken by these men."

"Those poor children. Sean, we must do something to help her," Marioselle cried as the carraige lurched forward.

"There is nothing we can do at the moment, Marioselle. As she said, there are others out there, and I for one will not risk your life. However, I wouldn't be too concerned, the Black Cobra is very adept at what she does. She can take care of herself. Of that I am certain.