Chapter 19

Chen Li crouched behind a refuge bin, her blow dart ready to subdue the man that was following her.  She could probably beat him in hand-to-hand combat, but it could draw attention to her.  That was one thing she didn't need at the moment.  She had too many people looking for her as it was.  She was also smart enough to realize she wasn't infallible.  There was always someone stronger or better than she was.  He had taught her that much at least. 

Of all the things she had learned, it was the one lesson she took to heart.  Her nose still had a small bend in it from where he had broken it. After that fateful night, she learned to never make that mistake again.  It was the night he had taken Mei away.  She hadn't seen her since.

From that day forward she pushed herself in private to be faster and stronger, as she knew that one day she would have to face him.  For when the time came, she would be prepared.  That had been three years ago.  She was more than ready now.

As she peered around the bin, the man from the house was entering the alleyway, followed by a young lad.  The lad was following so closely he nearly ran into the larger mans back.  Amateurs she smiled in amusement, this would be easy.  She couldn't believe they actually sent amateurs to capture her.  Or did they?

They couldn't be with the organization.  For one, the keeper wouldn't risk losing one of his prized assasians, and he wouldn't waste his time or money to hire just anyone.  It was however possible.   They had after all, sent one with the carriage. However, they had thought to catch her by surprise and run her down in the streets.  Driving a carriage and four didn't necessarly take a lot of skill or effort.  Their plan had failed of course, as they had underestimated her ability to pay attention to her surroundings.

She shook her head in disbelief.  Did he really believe it would be that easy? He trained her.  He knew what she was capable of.  What was she missing?  Something was wrong, she could feel it, but couldn't quite put her finger on it.  However, she needed to remain focused and alert.  They would send someone else, of that she was certain. 

The Keeper couldn't afford to leave any loose ends.  She was the only one who could identify him, as she was only one to have seen him without his mask.  She was honestly suprised he hadn't killed her the day she had exposed him.

It had been after a training session.  Chen had been sparring with him when she  delivered a right kick to the side of his face.  The mask had fallen off revealing his true identity.  He had been livid.  The bruises he left on her body had been evidence to his anger.  That day had put and end to their training.  The prospect of not having to see him everyday had been worth every bruise.

It wasn't until a few years later that she would understand the significance of that day. She had thought it was because she had revealed his face, but it wasn't.   It was because she had wounded his ego.  She had bested him.  A girl of ten and three had beaten him at his own game.  The student had outsmarted the teacher. She had no delusions however, that she could do it again.  Therefore,  she had trained harder and longer in secret, should the opportunity ever arise.

Honestly though, he was the only one she knew of that would stand a chance against her in battle.  Chen Li was the best, and he knew it.

As if awoken from a bad dream, thought's began to surface in her mind.  She now realized what she had been missing all along, revenge.  She had embarrassed him, that fateful day, and now was his opportunity for vindication.   He wanted to kill her.  It was the only way he could redeem himself in his own eyes.  That was the reason the streets weren't crawling with assassins.  He didn't want her to be captured, he wanted her to come to him.

Well, she sighed in exasperation.  If it was a fight he was looking for, then it was a fight he would get.  She was going to get her sister out under his grasp, even if she had to die trying.  Something she would willingly do, if it meant saving her from the life she had been forced into. 

The men started edging closer.  A few feet more and they would be in range of her dart.  She waited patiently, bamboo straw to her lips.  One, two...Lady Marioselle?

Chen Li shook her head to orientate herself.  Impossible.  No lady would put herself in danger by coming here.  Then she heard it again.  A faint whisper, but the voice was definitely female, and she was calling Li's name.

"Chen Li!  It's me Marioselle.  We've come to help you.  Please, come out."

Chen Li put her blow tube in her jacket then stepped out from behind the bin.  She couldn't believe her eyes.  Lady Marioselle was standing in front of her dressed as a man.  "Lady Marioselle? What are you doing here?  I almost killed you and your friend.  Why is the Blue Knight not with you?"

"He has taken ill.  He was on his way to find you when he collapsed.  I decided to come in his stead.  This is our friend Ian.  He came with me to find you.  We know you're in danger.  Please, won't you come with us.  We can help you once we get to England."

"Milady, I thank you for your kindness  but I cannot leave Paris without my sister Mei.  The Keeper has her.  He is cruel man, and he will kill her if I try to leave.   He is the one behind all of this. He will not stop until I am dead."

"Do you know where he is keeping her?"  Interjected Ian. "Maybe we can help."

"I don't know for certain. I believe she is on his estate, locked away where he can use her against me. He is a powerful and dangerous man, and he wants revenge. I don't think I could get to my sister without going through him first.  He will keep her close to him. He knows I'll be coming for her, and he will be waiting."

"There has to be a way to save her and get you both back to the ship.  Let us get back to the carriage, were we can speak in private.  We need to develop a plan."

"Marioselle is right, Madame Lee.  We need to return to the carriage.  We are too exposed here.

"Very well, I will go with you..." Chen li stopped abruptly,  causing Marioselle to stumble into her back.

"Who is that?" She asked, as she stood there gaping at the strange man.

Marioselle looked over Chen Li's shoulder to see who she was talking about. "Oh, dear!  I nearly forgot.  That is U Aung.  He's with us.