Chapter 4

The black Cobra stood in the  crowded ballroom trying desperately not to expire from asphyxia.  If the guest of honor didn't materialize soon, the entire ballroom would collapse. 
      Apparently the French elite were opposed to fresh air, as all of the windows and doors were closed off.  The room reeked of perfume and cigars, constricting ones ability to breathe.  The aristocracy provoked the atmosphere by overindulging in heady scents to cover the odor from their perspiring forms.     
     It wasn't that they didn't wash, the spoiled elites had bathing rooms and servants to assist them.  It was due, however to the layers of bustles, flounce, and hosiery one was expected to wear to these formal events.  It was all quite unpleasant, especially for someone unaccustomed to such practices.
      Born and raised in East Asia, like several others, the Black Cobra, Chen Li, hadn't known such things existed, until being kidnapped and brought to France.  When they arrived, they were taken to a secret compound and trained as spies, and assassins.  Some were trained as both, Chen Li, being the latter. They were given new identies, taught english and French, and tutored in the ways of the elite.  They learned to adapt to any lifestyle they were thrust into.  The organization had married them off to impoverished aristocrats, presented them as asian diplomats, and a many were set up as simple merchants. The Black Cobra wasn't fortunate to claim any of those positions, but that would soon change once the Blue Knight was finally defeated,
     The room grew quite and the crowd began to part, allowing Chen Li to have an advantageous view.  It would seem the birthday girl had finally graced them with her presence.  She was just another spoiled debutante making her grand entrance, Li grunted in annoyance.   However, to be fair, one had to admit, she was rather remarkable in face and form.  It was easy to see why the spy was so enchanted with the young woman.  The hardened assassin sighed in regret, it honestly would be a shame to assassinate such a beautiful creature. Unfortunately there was no other option, at least not when Li's freedom was at stake. 
     The Blue Knight, now known to Chen Li as Sean O'Brien.  He was getting too close to unmasking a very important man.  A man that would face the guillotine should he be exposed.  That man didn't simply want him stopped, he was out for blood.  He wanted to see Sean O'Brien suffer, and then he wanted him dead.
     The man, the head of a criminal group called the Society of men, had promised freedom. It would be Chen Li's last assignment for the organization.  Li could never return to China, however America sounded like a wonderful place for a retired assassin, especially a wealthy one. 
      Chen Li was brought back to the present when the Musicians began warming up to play.  The dancing would begin soon, making it a bit harder to keep an eye on the quarry, as people would begin to wonder outside the ballroom.  The doors had finally been opened and guests were already flocking to the veranda.  Lady Sutton seemed to be headed that way as well.  Chen Li followed.
     Naturally being the center of attention and the guest of honor, it would be hard pressed  to get the young woman alone.  However, an opportunity would present itself. It always did.  If not tonight, then the next day perhaps.  Li would be waiting.
     Patience was a virtue for an assassin. Li was one of the best. No one could outsmart or outrun the notorious spy, and capture had proven impossible time and again.        
     Of course many had attempted it, but they all failed.  They had eventually died trying.  Except one.  The Blue Knight.
     The man was one particular opponent that needed to be eliminated.  He was getting to close, and that was unacceptable.  Although, he was a challenging foe, and one to be admired.  The Black Cobra reveled in the chase against such a worthy adversary, it would almost be a pity to end the game.  But it would end, as all good things usually did.
     Chen Li smiled at the thought of finally defeating such a great contender.  However, there could only be one winner, and the Black Cobra never lost.