Chapter 28

"As soon as we arrive we must hurry to get you inside. The carriage will be arriving soon to pick up the girls. Here, take this. When you get inside you will give it to Nannette. She is the brunette girl. The one you will be switching places with."

"The burnette? Does it matter who I switch with? What if she isn't there?"

"Yes, its imperative that you switch with Nannette and only Nannette. Trust me, she will be there. The marquis always chooses one of each, one redhead, one blonde, one brunette, and one raven haired girl. He likes for his guests to have choices." Marioselle shivered at the thought.

"How could I have spent so much time in that man's presence and not see him for the vile creature he really is?"

"He is very good at pretending.  Now focus, and do not worry about Nannette. She is his favourite. She will be included."

"What if she refuses to switch with me?"

"Trust me in this, she won't. There is enough money in that purse for her to disappear for good. Tell her it's for Marie. She will understand."

"What of the other three girls? Will they not raise the alarm?"

"Non, they will not.  They are whores because they are forced to be, not by choice.  They dispise the Marquis as much as we do.  They're really not so bad, and are quite loyal to one another.  They will know where Nannette has run off too and why.  They won't say anything."

"Very well, I will do as you advise, but where will you be?"

"Oh, don't worry about me. I will be around. Now then, we had best prepare  ourselves, it appears we have reached our destination."

********

Sean followed Aung until they came to a little flat above a local cafe.  The flat wasn't visible from the street, in fact the only entry was through the cafe itself.  Genius, he thought.  He was thoroughly impressed by Chen Li's resourcefulness.  He was even more impressed by Aung's power of deduction.  The two were a likely pair.  In fact, if he hadn't known any better he would think they were related.  However,  since Li showed no signs of knowing, let alone trusting the old man, he was quite certain they were strangers to one another. 

"Are you certain this is the place, Aung?"

"One is never certain of these things, Sean.  One can only deduce and hope they are correct.  However, I am almost positive that we are where we should be."

"Almost?  Well, I hope you are right old chap as there is a women approaching us as we speak, and she doesn't look very pleased that we are here."

"No, I can see that she doesn't.  I believe however, that you could persuade her otherwise.  I have heard the Blue Knight can be quite charming and persuasive when it comes to the ladies," he said with a cheeky grin. 

Sean had to stop himself from laughing aloud, which really wasn't that difficult.  As soon as the woman heard his alias she caught her breath and turned to flee. "Bloody hell, now we have scared the devil out of the poor woman," he muttered allowed.  After all, if they worked for Chen Li, then they would know that the Blue Knight was the womans sworn enemy.  It would stand to reason that she would be fearful at the mere mention of his name.

"Attendre! S'il vous plaît! We are not here to harm you or your good husband."  He relayed in his best French.  We are here to ask for your help.  Chen Li is in trouble."  The old woman stopped at the the sound of Madame Lee's given name.  It was a tactic Sean was counting on.  There was only one way he would know it, and that was if she had given it to him herself.  If he were to place a wager, the womans husband, who was now hiding behind the kitchen door, would be wise enough to come to that very conclusion.  It looked as if his bet paid off immediately.  The man came rushing through the entry way, shotgun in hand, pointed in his direction.

"Where is she?  'ow do we know you speak the truth?"

"You don't.  However, you will have to trust me.  She is with my fiance' and they are in trouble.  They have gone to retrieve Li's sister Mei.  We must find them.  I am afraid they are in over their heads.  Should the Marquis catch them, he will ship them off and we will never see them again."

"Sa·cré bleu! We must 'elp them, Phillipe.  'e will kill her," screeched the drivers distraught wife.  Sean watched the exchange in interest.  Chen Li must mean more to the old couple than he had initially believed.

"Do not worry yourself, my pet. Li is a very special young woman, with unique abilities.  She can take care of herself.  The Marquis will finally pay for what 'e has done to our girl, and young Mei," said Phillipe as he patted the old womans hands. Then he turned back to Sean.  "I 'ave one question Monsieur.  Pourquoi? Why would the Blue Knight want to 'elp the Black Cobra?  You are enemies, no?"

"Oui, we were.  That has all changed however.  You see, she spared my life, and that of my fiance's.  I shall be eternally grateful, and I am forever in her debt."

"Very well.  I will 'elp you."  Then he turned towards Aung.  What of this man?  Is 'e a friend of Chen Li's as well?"

"Oh! Non, my dear.  Do you not see the resemblance?  Why, you are 'er father, no?" Asked the driver's wife as she turned to Aung who had been silently listening to the conversation.  Aung bowed to the old woman, then straightened up to his full height with pride.

"Chen Aung, madame, at your service."

Sean's jaw nearly hit the floor.  How had he missed that?