Chapter 15

Marioselle stood on the main deck talking with Ian and the ships doctor. They were discussing Sean's condition and subsequent treatment, when the sailor Sean sent off earlier approached them.

He was carrying a ditty bag over his right shoulder. They were generally used by sailors to carry their belongings in. Was the sailor quitting the ship? She wondered. Why else would he be carrying his bag?  Typically the satchels were made of rough linen, sewn by the sailors themselves. This process allowed them to hone their sewing skills as they used the same stitches for the ships sails.

Crewman often used the rope handles to show off their rope tying skills. At least that is what she was told on her last trip from England.

One of the older sailors on board had been very kind to her.  He had patiently answered her endless stream of questions about life at sea.  He had also, much to her mama's dismay, taught her some colorful words and sea shanties. Marioselle had loved ever minute of it. In fact, she still remembered those little ditties and often sang them while taking her bath, or while she was engaged with some tedious chore.

"What have you got there, Smith?"

"Beggen your pardon Cap'n. This 'ere is the stuff the young govn'r sent me to fetch. The 'akney driver is awaitin for 'im on the street just like 'e asked, but the crew says 'es laid up. You want I should send 'im away?"

"Not just yet, Smith. What is inside the bag?"

Smith looked to Marioselle, then back to  Ian with uncertainty.  He was likely wondering if he should discuss such delicate matters in a Lady's presence. Then he looked back to Ian as he handed the satchel to him. 'Ere Cap'n, I'll let you figure out what to do with it.  It's a set of lads clothing.  Jus, like he asked for.

It was Marioselle who spoke up this time. "Lads clothing? Why ever would he want you to procur boys clothing?

"Can't says for certain miss. 'Owever, 'e said as 'ow I should get something that would fit you. I was figurin you or the Cap'n would know what to do with 'em."

"Thank you, Smith. We will see to it," said Ian as he pressed a coin into the mans hand. "Here, give this to the hackney driver and tell him we will no longer be needing his services."

"Yes, sir." Smith said, and turned to leave.

"Wait! Tell him to stay. Ian may I speak with you in private? I have an idea."

"Certainly, let's move this conversation to my cabin, shall we?  I have a feeling I'm not going to like this."

Marioselle snickered and led the way.

********

Ian didn't like it at all. The woman was out of her mind if she thought for one minute he was going to let her off this ship. With Sean infirm, he was responsible for her. There was absolutely no way he was going to agree with her plan. "No!  I can't allow it. I'm sorry, but it's too dangerous.  Not to mention your family would have my head should anything happen to you."

"Why?  Is it because I'm a woman?  The Black Cobra is a women."

"The Black Cobra is a trained assassin, you are not.  Do you have any idea who you are dealing with?  Sean is a trained agent and has been after these men for years.  For god's sake they tried to have you both killed tonight!"

"I am well aware of that, thank you.  I don't intend to confront those men, or capture them.   We don't even know who they are. I simply want to find Chen Li and bring her back here.  Besides, I'll be in disguise, no one will recognize me."

"How can you be certain of that?  I mean no disrespect Lady Sutton, but you have attributes that are a bit more enhanced than a mere lad."

Marioselle felt the blush rise on her cheeks, from his blunt statement.  She hadn't thought of it that way, and having a man she just met point that out was a bit awkward.  However, there were ways to hide that particular appendage, although she would prefer not to discuss it with him.  "I believe I can fix that, it won't be an issue.  I need to do this Ian.  Sean is unable to, and Chen Li could be in danger as we speak.  She risked her own life by letting us go.  I refuse to leave her behind.   A trained assassin she may be, but she is still only one person.  They will send someone else, and at the moment we have no idea how many more exist within their organization. "

"That is eactly why I wish you would reconsider.   You don't know who you can trust.  You said the Count knew of  Chen Li's secret identity.   If this is true, then it is safe to assume he is one of them."

"He may very well be. Which is why it's vital that we find her first, before someone else does."

"What if she refuses to leave? Then what will you do? "

"Then I will have no choice but to leave her, but I have to try.  If  Sean's theory is correct, she is staying because of someone she cares about.  He believes they may be holding a sibling or parent in order to control her.  It certainly would explain why she hadn't left the organization before this.  Especially since she was free to come and go as she pleased."

"Well, I certainly wont argue with you on that score.  Other than brainwashing, I see no other reason for her to have done their bidding.  However, from what you have told me, she seems to be in control of her own mind, so I would agree with Sean's theory.   It also doesn't suprise me a bit that they would use children to manipulate others.  I've seen some horrific things in my travels, and they always prey on the weak and defenseless."  Ian sighed in defeat, she knew she could convince him to do the right thing, he was a good man.  "Very well, you may go.  However, you will not be going alone. I will be coming with you.  Now go change in to your disguise while I leave instructions with my men."

Marioselle, thanked Ian and swiftly made her way down to her cabin. She would have to hurry getting ready, as there wasn't a moment to waste.