Chapter 23

Chen Li grabbed Marioselle by the arm, pulling her down behind the bush.  "Shh..." she whispered softly, putting her finger to her lips.  They both crouched low, silently waiting, holding their breaths.  Marioselle praying the man will pass without noticing them. 

A minute seems like an eternity when you are anxiously waiting.  You can feel the adrenaline pumping through your heart and reverberating in your ears.  It's intense. Frightening, yet almost exhilarating at the same time.  She wondered if this was how Sean felt during his missions.   If so, she could understand why he chose to become a spy.  Truth be told, she found it all rather exciting. Li tapped her shoulder causing her to swing her arm out in self defense. Luckily, she had been ready for her this time and avoided the blow.

"He is gone now, we can leave."

"Leave? What about Mei?"

"We will come back.  I have a plan, but it will depend on you, and a different disguise.  Come, we have much work to do."

"Exactly what kind of disquise are we talking about?" She asked, looking at her dubiously.

"Let's just say, one of questionable virtue.  Trust me," She said, as she pulled her along.

Marioselle stopped, halting their progress.  Chen Li turned and looked at her questioningly.  Marioselle studied her face for a moment, wondering if she should trust her.  Her instincts told her she could.  She smiled, then let out a sigh.

"Very well.  As I do trust you, I will defer to your experience this time. I am certain you know what's best in these matters.  However, should I be found out, I do not want you to come after me.  You must promise to wait for Sean and the others."

Chen Li finally gave in and promised she would not attempt to rescue them on her own should their plan not work. Marioselle, however didn't believe the girl would hold to it. She wasn't the type to leave those she cared about behind. 

Although the hardened assassin exhibited a tough exterior, Marioselle knew that wasn't who she truly was.  She could tell the girl was already starting to care for them, as they did for her.  Once they retrieved Mei, they would sail for England.  There the girls could start a new life and be happy. At least that's what Marioselle hoped would happen, but first they needed to get out of here. 

"Come, we best make haste," she said,  grabbing Li's hand and tugging her along. 

********

After a hearty bowl of stew, and a mug of ale, Sean sat crossed legged at the stern of the ship. The crew eyed him wearily, but he didn't care what they thought of his actions.  He needed to focus his Chi like his old master had taught him. 

He knew time was of the essence, but he also knew his own limitations.  His illness and inability to eat had drained all of his mental energy, and weakened his physical self.  The sustenance would assist in healing his body, the meditation his mind.  He would need all of his strength and wits about him, especially if he had to face his enemy.  

After an hour of meditating he finally stood and proceeded to stretch,  swinging his arms and legs in various degrees and poses.  The crew stopped to watch, then gathered around when U Aung stripped off his tunic and joined him, mimicking the ancient moves.  They began to cheer as Aung and Sean sparred against eachother, betting on the victor.  Little did they know that Aung was only helping Sean to regain his physical balance.

His body felt stronger and revitalized.  His thoughts were clear, his thoughts focused.  His Chi now in balance, he was confident in his abilities. He would find Marioselle and Chen Li.  His head, no longer muddled and confused, he concluded he wouldn't have to look far.

The ships cook had informed Ian that Marioselle had been questioning Chen Li about the Marqius' residence.  It didn't take a detective to figure out why.  He assumed Chen Li would have come to the same conclusion and prayed she had caught up to Marioselle in time to stop her. 

He knew she was more than capable of taking care of herself, however she didn't know what she was up against.  The man, from what Sean had learned was not your typical laissez faire aristocrat.  He had specific skills. His training was in the ancient arts like Sean.  It would be impossible for Marioselle to escape him should she be captured.  He wasn't even certain he could, but he would die trying if it meant saving her. 

He prayed his love for her would be enough, and that his feelings for her, along with his desire for justice would see them victorious in the end. 

Fortunately, for their sake, Sémonville  couldn't claim the same, he concluded to himself.  As far as he knew, the man  had no feelings from which to draw upon.

He's greedy, cruel, and self absorbed, and although those attributes may be strong motivators, he thought confidently, they aren't as powerful as love.  The one thing he was counting on to stop him.

That one emotion would be the man's downfall, as he was incapable of feeling it.