Chapter 34

While Sean was attempting to get the women from brothel settled back into the coach, Li decided to approach Marioselle. It would be her only opportunity to find out exactly what that little witch said to her. Li was quite certain it had something to do with sexual relations judging by Marioselle's embarrassed behavior.

"Are you going to tell me what she said to you?"

"Absolutely not!"

"Why?"

"The mortification! Li, there is absolutely no way...I would never be able to speak to Sean of such things. Ever! A lady doesn't talk about the marriage bed...at least I don't think...Do they?" She asked. Her head was cocked in question towards her, but her eyes were busy staring at the tips of her shoes in embarrassment. She couldn't look Li in the eyes.

"Well Sean will have to be told something, Marioselle. He isn't exactly one to give up easily. Especially when it comes to secrets. The whole spy occupation is based off lies. A word of advice from someone who lives that same life. We are good at deceiving and being deceived, that is our work. However, when it comes to those closest to us we require complete honesty. In fact we insist on it."

"Yes, well, I'm perfectly aware of that, even though he chose to lie to me about his occupation. I do understand why he did it however, so it's quite impossible to be angry with the blasted man."

Chen Li watched her as she bit down on her bottom lip. Li had witnessed this telling habit before, the lady would have to fix that compulsion if she ever wanted into the world of spying. Chen smiled to herself at the thought. I lady spy, bah! Never! She shook her head and refocused on Marioselle. Li could tell she was pondering a dilemma, wondering if she should ask her questions. Curiousity won out. "Is what she said true? Do men really expect that type of behavior in private?"

"I'm not some virginal, naive miss. I've seen things that most young ladies of my station could ever imagine, let alone doing. But that?"

Chen Li sighed. "When all of this is over, we are going to have a serious discussion. Lady Marioselle, society has rules, and the rules in your world are far more structured than mine. I am certain you are aware of most of them. That being said, let me see if I can help you to understand. You see, while a gentleman may be required to marry a lady, he may still desire a woman in his bed. Do you comprehend what I am saying?"

Marioselle shook her head in acknowledgement and answered with a question. "You mean a whore?"

Chen Li shook her head and continued. "Yes, a whore, a mistress, another mans bored wife. It isn't all men and I can assure you by his actions that Sean is a faithful, and honorable man. He would never visit an establishment like mine, not with a lady like you by his side.
Marioselle blushed from the complement making Chen feel a little uncomfortable. She had never felt this close to anyone before besides Mei. She had never given advice or accepted it from another person because she had never had a friend before. She cleared her throat and looked in Sean's direction. He was standing by the carriage patiently waiting. The road was clear so he must have convinced the women to get back inside and carry out their plan. It was time to finish this once and for all. She turned back to Marioselle. There was still one question she wanted an answer to. "Now, back to what started all of this. What exactly did the little tart say to you?

Well she kinda of implied....

"Ladies? If I may? It's time to leave," said Aung from behind them.

********

Aung couldn't believe what he was hearing. He hadn't tried to listen in on their conversation, however they were rather loud so he caught most of it at the end. The mention of Li's establishment brought shame and anger to his heart. His daughter had been used and battered in that den of iniquity. She had been left to fend for herself and Mei. She had even managed to save Mei from those horrible men, but sadly hadn't been able to save herself.

The thought of that whoreson Marquis, caused his blood to boil. He had so much anger inside of him that the inside of his palms started to bleed from clenching his fists so hard. He was going to kill the man with his bare hands, of that he was certain. They needed to find Mei now.

Mei? He thought. Would she forgive him? Or would she blame him for all of this? The thought was selfish, he knew that but he was human. He loved his daughters. He had missed so much of their young lives and they had missed so much of it as well. He would make it right. He would take them to America if they couldn't stay in London. He would make a new home for his girls. He had plenty of money, enough for a comfortable life in the countryside or a flat in the city. The girls needed a permanent place to live, a family, friends, safety. He swore an oath to Buddha just then. He would see to their happiness until his last breath. He wouldn't rest until he did.