Chapter 16

3rd POV

Jack had rushed out, the other Guardians not noticing. He knew exactly where to go, 'where darkness stains ice.' When a few minutes passed, and Jack had not returned with the drinks, Tooth went to the kitchen to look for him. She found the note, grabbed it, and flew back to the others.

"Jack's gone again. To meet Pitch." Tooth explains while they read the note left.

"Does that boy have a death wish?" North asks no one in particular.

"And of course Pitch chose a place only he would know about..." Bunny grumbles.

Baby Tooth flew in front of them, and looked at Tooth.

"You were there?" Tooth asks hopefully, somehow communicating with Baby Tooth. "She knows where they're going to meet."

Meanwhile, Jack was on his way to that snowy cliff. He didn't know why Pitch wanted only him- and he didn't care. He would do anything to have Y/N back. Anything.

Once he landed, he roamed around until he found the figure of ice he had made that was stained with darkness at the spiky tips. Jack waited there, impatiently tugging at the strings attached to his hood.

"Ah, you came. Wonderful." A dark voice came from behind Jack. He swiveled around to face Pitch Black.

Jack became mad when he saw Y/N, who was sickly pale and surrounded by a circle of dark sand, with Pitch holding one of her arms, forcing Y/N to stay. Jack harshly glared at Pitch, progressing towards the two. With a movement of Pitch Black's hand, the sand shot at Y/N, and she stiffened, closing her eyes for impact.

"No!" Jack yelled, stopping in his tracks. The sand hovered centimeters away from Y/N.

"Not...any...closer..." Pitch growled. Jack sighed, then backed away, putting his hands up.

"What do you want?"

"Oh, there's so many answers to that..." Pitch looked at the sky, then directly at Jack. "Everything. I want everything. Starting with your staff."

Jack was about to disagree, until he truly saw Y/N's face. She was teetering on the edge of fear and darkness. He could see her eyes clearly now- sad, lost, clouded. She wasn't looking at him or at Pitch, just at her feet. Jack knew that if she were around Pitch for any longer, Y/N would break under pressure.

Jack lowered his head, then threw his wooden staff at Pitch's feet. He knew that Pitch was going snap it in half, so he readied himself. Sand swiveled around the staff, lifting up so that Pitch could hold it up with one hand. He momentarily let go of Y/N's arm, grabbing the other end of Jack's staff. Y/N took this chance to get as far away from him as possible. She dragged herself in the direction of Jack.

Pitch broke the staff in half, but didn't throw it back like before. He knew better this time. Jack stumbled back slightly, painfully grunting. Somehow, the staff had been linked to him ever since he became a Guardian. Pitch stowed the two pieces of wood behind him, shrouded in black sand. Y/N had made it half way to Jack, then stopped when she saw Pitch holding a black bow, the arrow aimed at her.

Jack glanced up through his white hair, seeing the situation. He steadied himself, looking at Pitch.

"No-please...don't." Jack gasped.

Pitch didn't answer.

"We- You said you wouldn't hurt her."

Pitch directed his cold stare towards for Jack, just long enough to say one thing. "You should never trust fear, Jack."

Then he let the arrow fly.

Jack picked himself up off the ground, running at Y/N. Running broke into flying. Flying, pushing the limits, Jack outstretching an arm to her. Y/N realized what was happening, but couldn't move from pure fear.

Jack had reached her just in the nick of time. The nick of time for Y/N... but not for him. Just as he pushed Y/N out of the way, the arrow slammed against Jack's stomach, just under the right ribs. The young Guardian cried out from pain, collapsing into the snow. Jack shakily tried to push himself back up, only to fall right back down. He was out cold, lying face-down in the snow. A small spot of black formed where the arrow had hit him, very slowly growing.

"Jack?" Y/N whispered, crawling to his side. She gently shook him, hoping to get an answer.

"Jack?" She whispered more urgently, tears starting to form. Pitch stood behind her, with a blank face.

"One down... four left." He said, before waving a hand. Y/N limply fell onto her side, unconscious. Pitch's black sand formed under her, lifting her off the snow, and followed Pitch as he stalked away to his hideout.

***

"We have to leave, now." Bunny said, opening a tunnel.

"The tunnels won't get us there in time..." Tooth replied.

North stood, reaching into his red coat for something. He pulled out a snow globe- his way of teleportation. "This should do the trick." He threw the snow globe on the ground, and it shattered, a portal formed. "Take us to Jack Frost."

They all went through the portal, ending up on a snowy cliff. They first noticed the large, spiked ice with black tips. Baby Tooth explained to Tooth what happened, and she relayed the information to the other Guardians. They began searching for Jack.

"Jack? You there?" Tooth yells, flying around.

"Where are you, mate?" Bunny yells along, hopping through the snow.

"Jack, answer us!" North also yelled.

Sandy made musical notes with his sand, also roaming.

A minute later, Tooth found Jack laying on the snow. She yelled to the others, and they started to make their way over. When they were all there, they noticed that the once small black spot had grown to take up half of the side of stomach.

"Oh, Jack..."

They had lost the fight.