Chapter Thirty-Four

"What's happening to you, Laurene Raphaelle?" Daddy asked.

I couldn't look at my parents in the eye, so I just remained still on the sofa and guiltily stared at my fingers. Kakauwi lang namin mula sa University at matapos ng mahabang silent treatment sa sasakyan ay inutos ni Daddy na manatili ako sa living room.

"Paano kung hindi namin isinama si Atty. Bisco? Be thankful that the second semester is about to end in a few weeks that you can't be suspended at warning lang ang binigay sa'yo!"

After the cat fight earlier, the faculty staff brought us to the Office of Student Affairs. Pati si Hadeon at ang dalawang lalaking umawat sa baliw na babae ay nadamay. We were asked to explain what happened and who caused the fight.

Of course, the lunatic blamed me for it. She cried hysterically, claiming that I stole her boyfriend. I don't even know who the fuck Carlo is! There are possible theories as to why she came up with that conclusion: First, I've met that Carlo in a club but I didn't know because guys that I meet and dance in clubs are usually nameless. Second, I may have flirted, but I'm positive that it's because he approached me first. And third, she's just paranoid and crazy.

I explained my side. The two guys who saw everything that happened supported my testimony. Hadeon confirmed that I was at the food court because we'll be eating lunch together. Our text messages were evidences. 

Kahit na alam na ang katotohanan at hindi ako nag-umpisa ay pinagsabihan pa rin ako. I've broken the rules. They said, the handbook clearly states that getting involved in a fight, leading to assault and physical injury, is a major offense. The offense is too big that a simple community service won't suffice. It's either suspension or non-readmission.

Naunang dumating ang parents ko. They brought a lawyer with them. Binasa muna ng lawyer ang written statements ng dalawang party. The whole time the adults talked, I kept my mum. 

"You're not home almost every night, partying and doing God knows what. Pati Sundays ay wala ka! We hardly see you at all! And when you do come home, you're either wasted or passed out drunk! I heard you're even smoking now! Your grades are disappointing that you're probably gonna fail Architecture, and now this? Getting involved in a fight? You're getting worse, Laurene!" Dad lividly shouted.

"And what's the cause of the fight again? Did you really steal that girl's boyfriend, Laurene?" he dangerously asked.

"Zion! You know your daughter! Hindi niya magagawa iyon!" my mother shouted in distress.

"How would I know? This isn't Laurene! This isn't my daughter anymore! Hindi ko na siya kilala!" Dad yelled.

My heart broke inside me. Tears swelled in my eyes. I pinched my fingers, inflicting pain on myself. I deserved it. 

"Dad!" Hadeon berated.

My mother sobbed, making me look at her. Her cries were enough to snap my father out of his furious haze. His expression was still hard but he doesn't look like he's gonna breathe fire anytime. His shoulders were relaxed. He stepped closer to my mother and raised his hands to reach for her.

Mommy flinched away from him. "Don't." 

Dad's lips parted, surprised by how Mommy reacted to his touch. She bit her lip and casts her eyes upon me. She looked hurt and crestfallen. She covered her lips with her hand and shook her head before walking out.

Suminghap si Dad. He looked frustrated and torn as he watched at my mother's retreating back and then at me. He madly brushed his fingers through his hair. His head snapped towards my twin, who's standing beside him. 

"Hadeon, ayusin mo yang kambal mo." he ruthlessly said before turning his back on us to follow after Mom.

My blurry eyes fell down to my hands again. I bit down on my lower lip, not caring if I'll draw blood.