Epilogue: Part I

I was staring at my black shoes when I heard the principal's office door open. Averting my eyes from my shoes, it landed on who I assume the principal. The principal's assistant who's seated behind the wooden reception counter table briefly stood up to acknowledge the principal's presence.

"You must be Silas Gallego." she happily greeted upon seeing me. She seemed genuinely happy and nice, but her smile was too big that it looked like she's trying too hard.

Agad akong tumayo. Inayos ko ang bag sa balikat ko. I quickly walked towards where she is. I extended my hand as a courtesy. "It's nice to meet you po, Mrs. Ortega."

"Are you sure you're okay with your section? You can swap with a student from the top class..."

I immediately shook my head. I didn't want a be treated specially just because of our family name and status in life. It's already enough that my father called in a favor just so I could enroll late. 

I didn't need to say anything else. She didn't push and nodded in compliance. I followed her lead as she walked me to what will be my room for the whole year. I grew tense and nervous as we walked towards what felt like a new hell.

This will be my first time to study here in the Philippines. I was born in the country but my mom and I moved to New York when they separated. 

It's only been a few weeks since I returned to the Philippines. If I could have it my way, I would have stayed in N.Y. but my father thought it's for my best interest that I'll have him around, since my mother passed away last year because of illness. Dad's been trying to convince me to come back since last year, last month's the only time I got warm to idea of living with him and his new family. I was staying with my relatives abroad, but I know my mom would want me to stay with my father.

I wasn't an introvert, but I liked silence and being alone better than spending time with people. My mother always told me I was more of a lonewolf. It restrained me from making friends back in New York, and I've already exhausted the thought that it wouldn't be different here.

The principal introduced me to the homeroom adviser, Mrs. Ramones. I tried to focus all of my attention on them but I could feel the curious stares from the inside. It made my knees weak a little. I held my breath and peeked behind her. I was right. They were staring. It made me shift my stance in anxiousness. 

"I'll take care of him, Mrs. Ortega." Mrs. Ramones said. It made me snap my attention back to her.  "Come on, Silas."

This will sound pathetic but my heart slammed in my chest. My body gone cold like I've submerged in ice cold water. I clenched my jaw. I was barely breathing as I followed her in front of the class.

"Everyone, we have a new addition to the class. He's a late enrollee, kaya ngayon pa lang natin siya makakasama." the adviser exclaimed.

I didn't speak. I didn't move. I feel like I'm gonna black out. All I could think of right now is to retreat and fly back to the safety of New York.

"Go ahead. Introduce yourself, iho." she encouraged.

It worsened my state. I licked my dry lips and anxiously browsed the room. My head was spinning and their faces were blurred in my mind that they all looked the same to me.

"I'm Silas." I said in a clipped voice, looking at them but avoiding eye contact.

"Introduce yourself better naman, Mr. Silas." Mrs. Ramones instigated.

I clamped my jaw. My stomach clenched. I hate this. I am not comfortable with talking in front of everyone. I'm not scared of public speaking, but I'm not fond of it either. I took a deep breath to soothe my nerves.