Chapter 1

7 years ago

"We should have turned left back there Steve...at least I think so." A woman with dark hair pulled up in a bun said to her husband as they drove down a dark road. She tried to read a map carefully with a flashlight.

"Don't worry Marsha, I know my way around. We don't need the map." Steve replied with a confident smile. He kept going down the road, driving a little over the speed limit.

"We should have left that party sooner...Willow is going to be worried." Marsha sighed as she thought about her little girl.

"Willow is going to be fine honey. Stop worrying." Steve chuckled a little with a grin. They drove in silence for a moment and then Marsha let out a gasp, "What? What's wrong?" Steve looked concerned and slowed down the car.

"You didn't see that?" Marsha asked and glanced out her window, "There's something in the woods." She looked afraid.

"I'm sure it's just a deer...maybe a fox." Steve took one of Marsha's hands in his and kept the other hand on the steering wheel.

"I don't think so...it looked like- Ahh!" Marsha exclaimed when she saw something lying down in the middle of the road, "What is that?!" She covered her eyes. Steve immediately stepped on the brakes.

"I don't know...it looks like some kind of animal..." Steve put the car in park and got out of the car.

"Steve... I don't like this..." Marsha said from inside the car.

Steve approached the carcass and looked confused, "It's not a dead animal at all...it's fake. Someone put this here on purpose." Steve gasped. He could hear rustling in the bushes now, "It's a trap." He ran to the car and jumped in, locking the doors. He quickly stepped on the gas.

"Who's after us this time?" Marsha questioned with a panicked tone.

"I don't know but they know exactly where we are. I'm trying to outrun them." Steve explained. Suddenly a bright light shone in front of the car. It got brighter and brighter. Steve couldn't stop the car in time. Both parents screamed as the light swallowed them up.

Present time

Willow woke to the sound of her Aunt Edith yelling up the stairs to her, "Brat, wake up! You'll be late for school!" She screeched.

Willow groaned and smushed a pillow over her head. If she could she would stay in bed all day today. She moved the pillow and glanced over at the calendar hanging on her wall. May 17th, the day her parents died in a mysterious car accident. At least everyone thinks they died. Their bodies were never found. And now Willow had to live with her horrid aunt. Willow sighed and sat up in bed, "Seven years and counting..." She said to herself sadly and got up to get ready for school.

"Don't even think of using the shower this morning. I'm using it." Aunt Edith hissed when she saw Willow come down the stairs. She then marched into the bathroom and slammed the door.

"Alright then." Willow grumbled. She managed to get a piece of toast for breakfast and washed her face quickly in the kitchen sink before running out the door to catch the bus. The bus ride to school was quiet since Willow sat alone. She didn't really have any friends. Everyone who got on the bus stared at Willow with a sad expression. The story of her parents was infamous in her town and they knew that today was the anniversary of their death. Willow just glanced out her window until they got to school.

"Hey Willow!" A boy with messy red hair ran up to Willow quickly.

Willow recognized him as Joey from her science class, "Hi Joey." She forced a smile.

"I just wanted to say sorry for your loss... I heard it was the anniversary of...well you know." Joey said awkwardly and glanced away.

"Oh...thanks." Willow nodded slowly and then continued into the school. As she walked in she couldn't help but feel like someone was watching her. She glanced behind and scanned the area around the school. Nothing seemed out of place so she shrugged off the feeling and continued walking.

All throughout the school day all Willow heard were people's condolences and apologizes for her loss. Every year on this exact day that's all she heard. People thought they were helping but really they were only making things worse. Eventually the day was over and people were leaving the building but Willow stayed behind to read in the library for a bit. She enjoyed the peace and quiet there and it was perfect to hide away for a bit.

"Hello Willow dear." The librarian, Ms. Clark smiled sweetly.

"Hey Ms. Clark. Got any new books in?" Willow looked hopeful.

"Hmm...check the adventure section. I think we got something new over there." Ms. Clark answered simply.

"Thank you." Willow grinned and went to the adventure section. Willow enjoyed the librarians company. Unlike everyone else, Ms. Clark knew to leave her alone. Willow scanned over the shelf and found a book that interested her. She grabbed it and then sat down to read.

Ms. Clark approached Willow a little while later and cleared her throat, "It's getting late. I'm closing the library for the night."

"Oh..." Willow looked at the time on her phone and looked surprised, "Eight already...I'm sorry Ms. Clark." Willow smiled sheepishly.

"It's fine dear. I appreciate that you love my library so much." She grabbed her keys and turned off the lights, "Goodnight Willow." Ms. Clark waved and departed.

Willow suddenly realized that all her things were still in her locker. She went down the quiet, dark hallway. All that could be heard was a janitor in his closet, getting ready to clean. Willow got to her locker, grabbed her things and ran out of the building. It was beginning to get darker out and she groaned when she realized that she'd have to walk all the way back home in the dark.

"That's what I get for not watching the time." She laughed at herself slightly, walking down the sidewalk. That's when she felt it again, someone watching her. It felt like they were right behind her. She looked over her shoulder, but nothing was there. It was probably her mind playing tricks on her. After all, she was walking home alone at night. Willow rolled her eyes at herself and just walked a little faster.

Just then, a small cat crossed Willow's path. It appeared to be hurt and looked at Willow helplessly. It's back left leg looked bloody and scrapped.

"Aw, are you hurt little guy?" Willow kneeled down next to the animal and examined it's leg. She frowned and looked closer, "Wait a minute..." Willow grabbed a water bottle from her backpack. She poured the water over the cat's leg slowly and then wiped off it's leg gently with her sweatshirt, "Your leg isn't hurt at all!" Willow exclaimed in surprise. She had wiped off fake blood and makeup. This was a setup of some kind. Willow jumped back, getting to her feet. The cat hissed and lunged at Willow, knocking her to the ground, "Get off! Get off!" Willow screamed as the cat clawed at her.

Just then, Willow felt a shooting pain go up her leg and she began to black out. Before her eyes closed completely she could see someone standing over her body. She groaned and fell unconscious.