Chapter 18

Benny stood frozen, no emotion on his face. He stared ahead with vacant eyes. He couldn't bring himself to look at what he had done.

Willow turned visible with a horrified look on her face. She inched away from Fiona's lifeless body and turned to Benny with wide fearful eyes. She was still trying to comprehend what had just happened, replaying the memory in her mind.

"You...you killed her." Katie spoke but she didn't sound like herself. Nothing felt real, not even her voice.

"It had to be done." Benny looked down at the ground now, "You need to understand that."

Ed opened his eyes slowly and groaned. His head was throbbing where Willow had hit him. His eyes fell on Fiona and he jumped to his feet, "Fiona! No!" He screamed and went to her. He looked over the dead body and began shaking with rage and fear. He glanced from Benny and then to the others. He backed up slightly and then ran off, vanishing from sight.

No one tried to stop him, they were too in shock to even move.

"You killed her." Katie repeated with a shiver.

Just then General Wallows and the guards came running down the street. The General stopped when he saw the scene in front of him, "What happened?"

Ryan looked at the General, "Where the heck were you?" He asked in a croak.

"Ed tricked us into going down into a cellar and then...well we were trapped..." The General spoke but no one was really hearing him.

"He killed her." Katie repeated a third time now, she looked at Benny but then turned away immediately.

"It had to be done...there was no other way. It had to be done." Benny shook his head slowly, his hands began to tremble.

"You did the right thing Benny. She was a danger and you handled it. Now everyone on the copter...we'll handle this." General Wallows tried to keep everyone calm.

The group walked solemnly to the copter, refusing to make eye contact with each other.

Once on the copter, Katie began sobbing uncontrollably. She buried her face in her hands and kept crying. Willow hid her face in Ryan's shirt and went still, refusing to speak.

"I had to do it...there was no other way. It had to be done. It had to be done." Benny murmured with a far off look on his face.

"Shut up Benny." Aaron finally spoke up. He looked over at Benny who was staring at his hands, saying nothing now.

"You...didn't have...to kill...her." Katie spoke through sobs, "When...did we start deciding...who lives and who...dies?"

"I did what had to be done!" Benny shouted, glaring at Katie, "I didn't take pleasure in it."

"I hate you." Katie spat out angrily.

"That's fine." Benny replied dryly.

"It was either she kill us or we kill her...there wasn't another option. He did the right thing, that's why he's the team leader." Ryan tried to be the voice of reason.

"Shut up Ryan." Aaron gave him a warning look.

"Why? Why should I Aaron?" Ryan asked in annoyance.

"Because I said! All of you, just shut up!" Aaron yelled and ran his fingers through his hair. Katie whimpered to herself quietly while everyone else remained silent. There really wasn't anything anyone could say to make what happened better. The copter eventually lifted into the air and began its journey home.

-------------

"They weren't ready for that." General Wallows spoke in a low voice, watching the teams copter out his copter's window.