two

"I thought you'd like these." Phillip says handing me a bundle of roses. "Thanks." I reply staring at them, but not taking them.

He clears his throat and puts them beside me in my nightstand. "So how are you?" He asks taking a seat beside me.

"I'm just great. Been here on my bed, going to the doctor, getting injected. My arm is really bruised because I've been poked on the same spot over and over. But I'm great!"

He stares at me blankly as I laugh. "It's okay, Phillip. You can feel bad for me just like everyone. I don't expect less."

His cheeks turn slightly red. "Aj..." his voice trails off and I continue to look at him. "What?" I ask and he looks down. "I'm sorry about everything."

"Why're you sorry? It's not your fault." The fact that people feel bad for me makes me upset. I understand, it's okay to feel bad but it makes me feel worthless.

It sounds stupid I know, but I just don't want people to feel pity for me. I want to be treated equally.

I don't want people being nice to me just because of the situation I'm in. I want honesty.

"I just don't know what to say." He mumbles. "You don't have to." We stay quiet for a long time.

It's awkward, heavy, and uncomfortable. The whole situation makes me super uncomfortable.

Finally, Phillip speaks up. "I - I have to go. I'll come to visit you tomorrow okay?" I nod my head and he gets up.

Before leaving he kisses my cheek and walks to the door. After he leaves my mom comes in instantly.

"So how was it?" She asks excitedly. "Weird like always." She frowns, but then notices the roses.

"He brought you roses! How sweet!" She sighs picking them up. "He always brings me roses. Different colors, but always roses."

"I think it's sweet. I'm going to put them on a vase." She says staring at them with admiration.

"I don't want him to come anymore." I say and she stops looking at the roses. "What?" I look her, "I said I don't want him to come anymore."

"But why?" She asks sitting on my bed. "Because I don't want him too. It's odd. I can't lead him on because I can't make him happy. I don't feel the same way."

"But April -" I give her a look and she corrects herself, "Aj. Why do you say that? Phillip has been here for you always. You used to date and I know you love him. That can't change from day to night."

"We dated in high school mom. I'd like to remind you that was four years ago." She presses her lips in a line.

"I just ... I don't want you to feel ... alone." She whispers. "I know you're afraid I won't find anyone. I will as long as I don't die in the surgery."

"Aj! Don't say that!" She says getting up abruptly. "I'm going to shower so I can take you to your appointment and I forbid you to say things like that."

She walks out of the room with the roses and I stay quiet. Even though my mom didn't say it I know she feels the same way I do.

I know she's afraid I'll die on my surgery day. I know she's afraid that I won't ever find love again because of the way I am right now.

I'm damaged. Both physically and emotionally.

•••

"Just one more tube." The nurse says with a touch of sympathy in her voice. She puts another tube at the end of the needle that's stabbing my bruised vein.

I close my eyes feeling lightheaded. "Done." She says sticking the needle out and putting a bandaid over it.

"Here's some juice and cookies to make you feel less lightheaded." She says handing me a bag of cookies and a box of juice.

I take it and the nurse says something quietly to my mom. My mom turns around and looks at me.

"I'll be right back, dear." She says walking out with the nurse. I'm struggling to open the bag of cookies.

I'm feeling very vulnerable. "You know you're supposed to pull the opposite way in order to open it."

I jump when I hear a voice talk. It makes my neck and spine wince. It startled me so much I dropped the bag of cookies.

A hand picks up the bag and hands it to me. When I make eye contact with the man I almost scream.

It's the leather jacket dude.

"You open it like this." He says taking the bag in between his teeth and ripping it. "I thought you opened it with your hands." I say as he hands it to me.

"Well yeah but with the teeth is easier. Don't worry feel free to eat it. I don't have germs in my mouth."

"Everyone has germs. Each of us has about 1,000 to 100,000 bacteria on the surface of each tooth. That's if you brush your teeth if you don't then you have 100 million to 100 billion bacteria on each tooth." I reply taking a cookie out of the bag.

"Smartass." He says with a grin. Him smiling at me like that makes my heart skip a beat. It's been a while since a guy has smiled at me.

Phillip smiles at me all the time, but it's different with the leather jacket dude. He's very pretty.

I know, weird way to describe a dude, but he literally is very pretty. His blue eyes stand out and his messy caramel hair is stunning.

He's flawless. No flaws on his skin at all. He's got a bit of facial hair growing and he still looks beautiful.

"Its facts." I finally reply after staring at him forever. He grabs my juice box and stabs he straw through the box.

He then takes two huge sips of the box and finishes instantly. "That was mine! You can't take that from me."

"I just did." He replies throwing the empty box on the trash can. I frown at him, "I'm a patient and you took my juice."

"So? What if you are a patient? I was thirsty." He says. I feel my 26 muscles contract curving my lips in a smile.

I like this guy.

He makes me feel normal.

"Dean Ambrose. Nice to meet you."