thirty-five

Frozen.

That's how I am when the words come out of his mouth. The only thing I can hear is the loud thumping of my beating heart.

Everyone else around me seems to be frozen as well.

The look on their faces, the look on Dean's face. He's got sadness and pity in his eyes. Layla is pale, she's pale as a ghost.

Her eyes spill her heartbreak. A tear falls from her eyes and she finally speaks up. "You what?"

"I'm sorry. I tried to tell you but I can't hold it in anymore. I feel trapped. I feel like I'm slowly drowning. I didn't mean for this to happen I really didn't."

Layla looks at me with anger in her eyes. "It's because of her isn't it?" She screams furiously wiping her tears.

"Layla let's not talk about it here okay?"

"It's too late for that don't you think, Dean? You literally just broke up with me in front of them!"

"I told you this was a bad idea. You never listen to me."

"Fine. You wanted to talk about it let's talk." She says breathing heavily. Some tetas are drying against her cheeks and she doesn't look sad anymore.

In fact she looks cold now.

Her eyes are full of rage and anger.

"Layla please don't-"

"This is all your fault!" Layla says turning to me. "We we're just fine and you showed up destroying everything! You got to him, you provoked him, you know what this makes you?"

She approaches me and Dean immediately follows her behind. "This makes you a whore. A complete slut!" She pushes me harshly and I stumble.

Dena pulls Layla away from me. "That's enough Layla."

"Get out! All of you! I want you out of my boat! Out of my house! Out of my life!" She screams walking in a room.

I'm still frozen in compele shock when Dean starts pulling up the boat to the deck. Brie grabs my arm and pulls me closer to her.

"I can't believe this just happened."

"It happened alright." Nikki adds giving me a look.

"It's okay Aj. This is not your fault." Brie says giving me a light squeeze. I nod my head not saying anything.

As soon as we arrive the deck we get out. On the way out I grab my shirt and it back on. "Aj." Dean calls out.

"If you don't want to talk to him I'll tell him." Randy says coming up beside me. "It's okay." I say and Randy nods his head as he keeps walking.

"I'm sorry for what happened. She shouldn't have put you on the spot."

"Everyone knew anyway." He stays quiere just looking at me. "Where is she at?" I ask turning around looking to see if she's anywhere around.

"She's still on the boat. She doesn't want to talk to me or anyone. She just wants us to leave."

"Do you regret doing it?"

He looks down at me staring me right in the eyes. It makes my knees melt at the sight of his breathtaking eyes.

"No. I do regret doing it the way I did though. I didn't want it to be that way."

"Then why did you do it?"

"Because I was angry, frustrated, jealous."

"Oh."

"What does this mean?"

"What?" I ask confused.

"About us. What does this mean about us?"

"I ... don't know."

"I'm not with Layla anymore. That was the only thing keeping us apart. Right?"

"Right."

"So?"

"I don't know." I repeat.

"Do you ... need time?"

"I think so yes."

"Okay." He breathes as we approach the car.

The ride to Layla's beach house is awkward and full of silence. Everyone is avoiding any eye contact with each other.

Dean is driving and I can see him through the mirror. He makes eye contact with me for a brief second but I quickly look away.

I don't know what to feel right now. Dean just broke up with Layla and I don't know what to feel.

Me emotions are completely mixed.

It makes me sick.

Like I've ate grapefruit.

And I hate grapefruit.

Dean and I make eye contact once again and when our eyes meet I feel it. I feel myself falling in the dark hole of madness called love.

It's inevitable for me not to feel when I'm looking at this man.

I look at him and I see and feel everything. I feel complete. I feel everything hitting me at once.

I feel madly, deeply in love.