four

"Aj?"

I turn my head to my room door and see Phillip standing by the door. Like usual, a bundle of roses in his hands.

"Can I come in?" He asks quietly. I nod my head slowly. The fact that my mom let him in makes me upset.

It's not that I don't like Phillip. I like him. He's been my friend for the longest time. What I don't like is to lead him on.

He's a sweet guy. I know he's trying so hard, but how can I tie him to a person like me?

"I came to see you yesterday and the day before that. Your mom told me you weren't feeling well. Are you okay?"

"Sure." I reply. He walks in and sits in front of me handing me the roses. "Here you go." He says smiling.

I've probably got enough roses to fill up my whole basement. "Thank you. You shouldn't have."

"But I wanted to." He reassures me. "Phillip." I say looking at the white roses. "Yes?" He asks attentively.

"Why do you still come to see me?" When I look at Phillip he's got a confused expression. "Why wouldn't I?"

"Because I'm not the same anymore. I'm boring now. My life consists of taking medicine, going to the doctor, sleeping, eating and repeating."

"I like spending time with you." He says reaching over to grab my hand. "I think you need to stop coming."

"What? Why?" He's got a hurt expression on his eyes. "I need you to stop coming. For good."

"But I don't understand-"

"Phillip. Please. I don't want you to get hurt." He's still looking at me confused. "I won't -" before he continues I cut him off, "You will."

"Can you please leave? I'm - I'm tired." He nods his head slowly. I avoid looking at him as he walks out.

Seconds later I hear the door close. I look at the white roses on my lap and my eyes start feeling heavy.

My throat starts tightening making hard for me to breathe. "Aj, you weren't mean to him were you?" My mom asks.

"Leave me alone mom." She walks in the room, "Excuse me -"

"I said leave me alone. I told you to not let him come anymore and you let him either way. I didn't want to be mean, but I had to because of you. He could've just stopped coming by himself and it would've been easier."

"I couldn't just keep telling him the same excuse." My mom says. I don't even bother to look at her.

She waits a few minutes and when she sees I don't speak she walks to the door and leaves.

•••

"This might make you feel a little woozy." The doctor says as the nurse injects a clear liquid in my vein.

A familiar burning sensation runs through my blood as it rushes all across my body. "What's if for?" My mom asks.

I didn't want her to come in with me, but she insisted like usual. "It's going to make her back and neck pain better. Has your neck and back been hurting a lot lately?"

"Yes." I simply reply as the nurse removes the needle from my arm. "Hopefully it will make the pain better. The side effects might vary thought. You might feel dizzy, nauseous, and drowsy."

But it's suppose to make me feel better?

"Ah okay." I say laying my head back on the hospital bed. "I think you should be ready for surgery in the next month or so."

"Whys it taking so long?" I ask feeling my eyesight get blurry. Funny thing is I'm wearing my glasses so I'm not sure why I'm seeing blurry.

It's probably the side effects. "Because we have to get everything ready. The procedure is very risky and dangerous."

I close my eyes as he keeps speaking. Blah, blah, blah. The same story again. I've been hearing this for the longest time.

I open my eyes again when he stops blabbing about the procedure. "Ma'am, would you follow me this way please?" The doctor asks pointing to the door.

"Can't I know?" I ask annoyed. They always call my mom out and talk to her about me. "Yes you can, but right now you're drowsy. It's the medicine. You won't be able to pay close attention."

"Okay." I sigh. The nurse, doctor, and my mom walk out the room. I try to focus on the ceiling on top of me.

My eyesight is better now. Maybe it was just for a brief second. The door opens and I roll my eyes, "Mom I'll be okay."

"I ain't your momma." A deep husky voice says. I quickly look at the door and see leather jacket dude.

He's got different jeans and a different shirt on, but still the same leather jacket. "What're you doing here?" I ask.

"Nice to see you again April Jeanette." He says with a smile. I roll my eyes again. "Rude." He adds walking in.

"Get out." I say annoyed. "What's wrong? I thought we were friends." He says. "We're not. You're a stranger."

"Nice to meet you I'm Dean Ambrose." He replies stretching his hand out to me. "I already know that."

"Then we're not strangers. Anyways, did you get any cookies or juice today? I can't get any free ones anymore because I've already donated."

He looks around the room trying to find food. "Is that why you came to my room? To find food?"

"Yes. Because I don't care about your wellness. I just care about food." He says looking at me. This causes me to smile for some odd reason.

"I like your sarcasm. It's annoying." I say. "Great that's awesome. So do you seriously have no food? I'm starving. My break isn't until 3."

"No. I seriously don't have food. How did you even know this was my room?" Dean sits on a chair in front of me.

"I saw your momma walk out of here. I recognized her. She's pretty hot." He says with a smirk.

"You're gross. She's married!" This earns a laugh from Dean. Even his laugh is intimidating.

"I don't mind." I wrinkle my nose in disgust. He sees a bag beside me and quickly walks to it.

"Stop it. That's invasion of privacy." I reply trying to stop him from digging into the store bag.

"You stop me." He says with a smirk. Wow he really likes to smirk. "I can't I'm weak." I say feeling my arms feel like jelly.

"Aha! I knew you'd have food." He says pulling out a bag of gummies. My favorite gummies in the whole entire world.

"Those are mine!" I protest. Dean shrugs and rips open the bag taking half of the bag in his mouth.

"I hate you." I say. He smiles at me and grabs a gummy. He slowly approaches me and sits on the bed beside me.

He puts the gummy against my lips. "Open up buttercup." He whispers sending shivers down my spine.

Dean is looking at me intensely making my body feel all weird. I open my mouth and he pops it in my mouth.

"Good girl." He replies satisfied. "Can you help me sit on the wheelchair?" I ask randomly. He nods his head dropping the gummies on the nightstand.

He grabs me by the waist helping me up. I'm up for a few seconds until my legs collapse. Luckily, Dean is still holding me.

"Woah." He says slowly sitting me on the chair. "Yep. My legs don't work." I say embarrassed, a pink tint forming on my cheeks.

"Those gummies were great. I'm going to steal this other bag." He says ignoring my last comment which I gladly appreciate.

"I have to go unfortunately. Will you be okay? I hope so because I have to leave. Later, April Jeanette." He says with a smile.

I smile at him as he takes the gummies and walks to the door. "Later, Dean Ambrose."