twenty

"Can we stop for coffee again?"

"Sure. You're not getting addicted to caffeine are you?"

"Everyone is addicted to it."

"I'll stop here-"

"No! Can we stop where we've been stopping?"

"What's with you and that place?"

I get to see Dean there.

"Nothing. Their coffee is just really good." I mumble looking out the window.

"Well it must be good because you've been getting coffee there for two weeks."

"Yep."

Minutes later we arrive at the coffee shop. As I get out the car to walk in my heart starts palpitating quickly.

Like usual Dean is standing in line. He orders the usual. Two lattes. One large and one small. The large for him. The small for Layla.

It's crazy what you learn about a person by watching them from a distance. He sits on the same table he always does.

"What can I get for you ma'am?"

"A small cappuccino, please."

After paying the lady I stand to wait for my coffee. I look at Dean and find that he's already looking at me.

His blue eyes are looking right into mine. It's like he's looking right into my soul. He gets up and starts walking in my direction.

Now my heart is beating so fast I can hear it. Everything else around me is a blur except him. Just as he think he's approaching me he turns to the right to walk to the bathroom.

A deep disappointment falls over me. "Ma'am?" I turn around and a man hands me my cup.

I grab it along with my straw. Being as clumsy as I am I drop my straw on the floor. I'm bending down to get it when another hand reaches to grab it.

Our hands touch for just a brief second, but it's enough to send shivers down my spine. I look up and see Dean in front of me.

He tosses it to the thrash and hands me a new one. "Thanks." I mumble quietly. "No problem."

"Aj?" He calls as I'm walking away. A spark in me arises. Is he finally going to apologize? "Yes?" I respond a bit to quickly.

"Your straw." He says. That's when I realize I never took it from his hand. "Oh. The straw." He only called me back for the straw.

This time I do take the straw and then head out. I'm wishing he'd call me again, but of course he doesn't.

>>>

"Is that a different flavor?" Seth asks staring at the cup in my hand. I shrug and he squints his eyes a little to read the label in the cup.

"Cappuccino? Wow, you always have different flavors. You're the first person I meet that tries all types of coffee."

"Coffee is coffee."

"Well I guess you have a point there."

After minutes of silence he speaks up again, "Aj?"

"Hmm?" I reply uninterested.

"When will you talk to to me?"

"I'm talking to you right now."

"No I mean actually talk to me. I'm trying my best to help you, but you won't let me. You've been coming here for two weeks and I can't get you to trust me enough to tell me what's wrong."