twenty-two

"But why can't I drive myself?"

My mom sighs turning to look at me, "Aj, dear, I'll rather drive you myself there."

"Mom did you forget I have a license? And a car? Why can't I drive by myself? I think it's time to get back on the road."

"I don't know if you're ready. It's been so long since you've driven."

"I haven't forgotten how to drive."

"I know but..."

She trails off without finishing her sentence. Instead of continuing she pretends to be looking for something around the kitchen to avoid the conversation.

"I'm not going to crash or anything."

"April! Don't say things like that!"

"I'm just trying to tell you that you don't have to over protect me so much."

She stays silent for a few seconds avoiding my stare. Just as I'm about to walk away she speaks up.

"Okay fine. Just be careful though."

"I will." I reply smiling.

"Who are you meeting there?"

"Just Nikki and Brie." I lie. Of course I'm not going to mention that I am going to meet up with my psychologist and his friends.

"Okay. I'm glad you're spending more time with your friends."

>>

"May I help you ma'am?" The restaurant host asks as soon as I walk in. I didn't know what to wear because I haven't gone out in a while.

So I went with a simple pair of jeans and a 'fancy' shirt. If you can even call it that.

"I'm actually meeting a few friends here."

"Can I have the name?"

"Oh yes sure. It's -"

"Aj?"

You've got to be kidding me.

I turn around completely forgetting about the host. When I turn I see none other than Dean. Now he's definitely going to think I'm stalking him or something.

"Dean?"

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm here on ... a date."

His eyes widen and I could swear there's a hint of jealousy in his eyes. This hint of jealousy encourages me to keep lying.

"A date? With who?"

"Seth."

"Seth? You're here with Seth on a date?"

Why does it sound like he knows who I'm talking about? Why does he sound so hesitate? And why does it seem like he doesn't believe me anymore?

"Yeah." I reply trying to sound as confident as I can.

"Aj! Dean! I see you've met." Seth says walking out of the bathroom. My heart sinks to my stomach and my blood rushes to my face.

Dean is one of Seth's friends? He's one of the friends we're meeting with?

And I just literally lied to Dean telling him I'm on a date with Seth. I want nothing more but to disappear right now.

Dean looks at me and I look down at my feet. "Where's Layla?" Seth asks making me look up. Dean keeps looking at me as he replies.