thirty

"Please, kiss me."

We close our eyes and just as his lips start moving the elevator starts again. We pull away trying to figure out what happened.

"Are you okay?" A security guard asks when the elevator door opens. "Yeah we're okay." Dean responds.

"Was the elevator stuck?"

"I guess it was." He replies looking at me.

I quickly walk out with my blushed face. Dean follows me behind until we walk out of the hospital. "Aj wait."

"What are we doing?" I ask stopping.

"What?"

"What are we doing, Dean? Why are we doing this? Why do we keep coming back to this?"

"It's hard to say." He mumbles.

"I don't want to your second plate. I just want to be your only."

I keep staring at the darkness that surrounds me. I haven't been able to keep my eyes closed because the thought of what happened keeps coming to mind.

His lips were against mine.

He held my hand.

He made me feel things

Beautiful things.

And I can't not think about it. It's a thought I can't shake away. I turn to my left side with a deep sigh.

The neon light on my clock reads 12:34 a.m. Then it goes up a minute. I wait for the time to move and change.

A noise on my window makes me quickly sit up. Maybe I'm hearing things. When I lay back down I hear it again.

This time I start panicking. I get out of bed and walk toward the window. Through the curtains I see a shadow. I grab an umbrella from my closet then grab my cellphone from my nightstand.

I pull the curtain and I'm about to dial 911 when I see Dean. Without thinking about it twice, I drop both the umbrella and my cellphone.

"Dean?" I ask putting my window up.

"Sorry to bother at this time." He whispers.

"What are you doing here?"

He crawls in my window and walks towards my bed pacing around. "I needed to speak with you."

"Okay? Why at this time?"

"I just - I just can't stop thinking about it. What happened between us."

"Oh."

He sits on my bed but keeps looking down at his feet. I sit beside him and watch him fidget with his hands.

"It's just ... I feel like ... I feel so bad."

"Is it because of Layla?"

He stays silent looking down. I turn my face so I can't see his. It's an awkward silence I hate. The air feels so heavy making it hard to breath.

"I wish I could love her, Aj. I really wish I could. I thought I was in love but I wasn't. I want to feel what I feel when I'm with you."

"I'm sorry it's hard to love me."

"You don't get it do you? It's not hard to love you. Everything about you is meant to be loved. I fell in love with you but fell out of love with Layla."

"I don't know what to say." I mumble staring at my open window.

A breeze comes in making my legs get goosebumps. The crickets' chirping fill in the room.

"I tried breaking up with her."

"Huh?" I ask turning my face to him.

"I tried breaking up with her."

"But you didn't." It's hard to hide he disappointment in my voice and he notices it.

"I couldn't."

"Of course because at the end of the day you've been dating her for years and I'm just a feeling that will end up going away."

"No. It's not that."

"Okay."

"She said if I left her she'd hurt herself."

"What?"

"She said she would. She was sobbing, screaming, she seemed a really upset and that scared me. I feel so pressured. I don't want to her to hurt herself but I also don't want to hurt you, Aj. I just don't know what to do. It's driving me crazy. I want to be with you and I want you ... I just don't know how to end things with her."

Dean looks at his lap and he looks really upset. I've never heard him sound so concerned. I reach over to grab his hand.

"It's okay, Dean."

"It's not."

"It's okay. Don't worry about it. I just don't want you to be upset."

"But Aj, I don't want to hurt you-"

"I know, Dean. I know."

I pull him to me and he rests his head on my chest. "Don't worry about it. At least not for tonight. It will be okay."

"What should I do?"

"I ..."

My words cut off because my mind goes blank. I want to tell him to break up with Layla and come with me.

I want to tell him to let's move away far from here to a place we both don't know. Somewhere where we can be happy.

I want to tell him to just kiss me and tell me everything will be okay but I know it won't. Everything will not be okay.

Of course I want my happiness but not at the cost of Layla's. If I was in her shoes I'd feel the same way.

I'd be so sad. 

Thinking about it makes me sick. I can't be selfish enough to do that.

I lay back down on my bed and Dean stays seated looking at me. When I pat the empty space beside me he lays next to me.

He turns my way, his nose pressed against mine. He's breathing softly and the warmness hits my cheeks.

I smile caressing his cheek. "I think ... I think we should just forget this." My smile starts fading as I say this tears spilling from my eyes.

"I don't know what to do either, Dean. Maybe we should try to forget about each other. It seems like destiny doesn't want us together."

Dean turns his head straight and looks at my ceiling. He stays silent and I look up straight too. 

My pillow under getting wet from my tears. He grabs my hand and gives it a light squeeze. Another breezes comes in through my open window but neither of us let's go hands to go close it.

Instead we lay down in the cold darkness.

Both feeling empty and blue.

>>>

sooooooOooO guys this story is coming to an end (kind of) there's still chapters left but yeah.
im thinking about writing a brie/roman story after this one ends c:
im wondering if you guys would like that? i really want to write it because i already have a TON of ideas for it and im really, really, really excited about it.
also thank you son much for reading, voting, and commenting on this story. it means so much to me 😭 i appreciate it so soooo much.
xoxox much luv ;*
ps. i feel like a butthole because aj deserves like all the happiness in the world and she's not getting any (yet)