thirty-one

"I'm surprised your mom let you go out without an interrogation." Nikki says.

"Because I'm going out with you duh."

"True. So have you planned on going back to college?"

"I don't know."

We walk in the restaurant where we're supposed to be meeting Brie and her now boyfriend, Roman.

"Why? You were very excited about it... well before your accident."

She quickly apologizes from bringing my accident up, "I'm so sorry I didn't mean to-!"

"Nikki. It's fine. And yeah I was very excited about my career at the time but I just don't know anymore. I'm still taking therapy and I still have to get checked and I don't know if I can handle college right now. After my accident I came to realize that  I want to find something that I'm truly passionate about. I don't think therapy is something I want to do anymore. I can barely handle my own problems so how am I supposed to help others with theirs?"

"Listen, I'm sure you'll find your passion soon enough. Mine was soccer and then I had that problem with my leg that cost me my dream at the time. But everything happens for a reason you know? The accident you were in was terrible but thanks to that you got closer with your family and ... well you even met Dean because of it."

Nikki saying this makes me aware that it's true. If I hadn't had that accident I probably wouldn't have ever met Dean. We probably would've never crossed paths.

Would I have been happy then? Would I be with someone else? Would I not feel so heartbroken?

"Hello. How are you? What can I get you ladies to drink?" A waitress asks.

"Doing good, and you? Oh, and I want a martini please and what do you want Aj?"

"Water is fine for now, thank you."

"Water? Really?" Nikki asks as soon as the waitress walks away.

"I don't want alcohol for a long time. Not after that night."

"Aww come on. Alcohol is fun."

"Right." I reply sarcastically.

Minutes later the waitress brings our drinks. As soon as she does we spot Brie walking in.

"Girls!" Brie squeals approaching us. We get up to hug her and give her a kiss on the cheek. "Where's your hot boyfriend?" Nikki teases.

"Nicole, I will cut your throat."

"Damn. Calm down." She laughs.

"Just kidding. He's coming and uh I think we're going to need a bigger table."

"What why?" I ask confused. "Roman brought a couple of his friends."

"Who?"

"One of them is Randy."

My eyes widen. "I didn't bring him I promise! Roman is just really good friends with him and invited him. Sorry if that's uncomfortable."

Roman walks in with Randy and ... Seth?

"Who's that?" Nikki immediately asks her eyes glowing.

"That's my psychologist."

"What? When you said you had a psychologist I pictured an old dude not a radiant sex god." Nikki gushes admiring Seth.