Chapter 9- Earthquake!

"Miranda..... where are we going??" Whined Robert.

"Oh for the 963rd time! We are going to Hyperborea! And if I hear as much as a peep from you, I'll skin you alive!" I threatened.

"Huh, I saved your life!" he argued.

"And I said my thanks. In case you have forgotten, I'm the Queen of Arcadia!" I shot back. I looked at the battered map. It would approximately take 9 months for us to get to the neighbouring country of Hyperborea. However I had no choice, Mother once told me that Father was a great friend with the current king of Hyperborea. I depended on this to help restore Arcadia. However, our time schedule was tight but at least the Rebels weren't after us. They're too busy rebuilding the city to even notice our disappearance.

I saw Robert look longingly at the Red Death Sugarplums. "ROBERT!! DO YOU NOT REMEMBER LAST TIME YOU ATE THOSE?" I screeched. His brain must be the size of millet seed.

Robert snapped back to reality. "I was-er.... just investigating." He said, mustering all the dignity he had.

"I'll give you something to investigate! I grabbed a pebble and threw it at him, laughing as he attempted to catch it but it hit his face.

"OWW!!!!! My nose!" He cried.

"Now hurry up or that will land on your nose!" I snapped, pointing to the nearby boulder.

As we climbed up the mountain, Robert suddenly halted. I groaned in annoyance. What now? Then I noticed it too. Something was rumbling, and for once it wasn't Robert's stomach. Something even worse: the ground. Oh no.

"EARTHQUAKE!!!!!" We yelled at the same time and ducked for cover. I ran behind a tree and clawed at the snow.

"MAKE AN AIR POCKET IN THE SNOW!" I yelled at my daft companion. Once it was deep enough, I lay face down in my oxygen pocket and waited for the worst. I felt snow crash onto my body, forcing to knock the wind out of me. I held my breath, trying not to exhale in fear of wasting the little oxygen I had. I started to panic, the snow was getting deeper and deeper. What if I was going to be buried alive? I couldn't hold my breath much longer. My lungs were screaming for air and I took the risk of a small breath in. The earthquake was getting more violent and I was forced to hold on to a tree root but that was starting to give way as well.

Suddenly it stopped as abruptly as it had started. I dug upwards desperately in the snow till finally.... fresh air! I looked at the damage, some trees had fallen and the snow had caused a massive avalanche to roll downhill. But in the deep snow I saw....

"Oh god! ROBERT!" I hurried to the shape in the snow and started digging. There lay Robert, lifeless. I felt his pulse, and he wasn't breathing. I slapped him hard across the face but nothing happened.

"Robert! Wake up!" I felt panic starting to overwhelm me. Hyperventilation took hold as I started panicking. Robert couldn't die, could he?

Just then, Robert sat up with a stupid grin. "Got ya!" He started to laugh but then looked at me with concern. I had started to see black dots in my vision as I tried to maintain awake. Black eventually took over as I blacked out.

I woke up with a terrible headache and to see Robert looming over me. I sat up and looked around.

"Whoa... what happened?" He asked.

"I had a panic attack, I think." I managed.

"Why? Do you care about me that much?" Robert teased. Something clicked inside my brain as...

"YOU! DO YOU THINK THAT IT IS FUNNY TO PRETEND TO BE DEAD! YOU SCARED ME, YOU DAFT MORON!!!!!!!! I THOUGHT YOU WERE ACTUALLY DEAD!! YOU!!!!!!!!! URGH! IS YOUR BRAIN REALLY THAT STUPID? WHAT KIND OF JOKE WAS THAT?? HUH??? I ASK YOU, WOULD YOU BE HAPPY IF I PRETENDED TO BE DEAD??? WOULD YOU!!?!?!?! OF COURSE NOT! YOU!!! I HAVE UTTERLY NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE YOUR LACK OF BRAIN CELLS!!!!!! IF YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN, I WILL MAKE SURE THAT YOU WILL BE DECAPITATED ON THE SPOT!! IS THAT CLEAR??!?!?!? AM I SPEAKING SWAHILI???? NO??? THOUGHT SO!!!!GET IT?? GOT IT??? GOOD!!!!" I ranted it at him,as I grabbed the water bottle. Without glancing at Robert, I swung the satchels over my back and stalked off, leaving him to trail behind. Stupid Robert, I hated him.