Chapter 11- Secrets of the Wild Jungle

Walking through the jungle is not as easy as it seems. Sure it looks green and inviting on the outside, but once you get up close and personal with it, you'll want to run out of there as fast as your legs can carry you. Unfortunately, this was not an option for me, as the future of Arcadia depended on it. So if it's large man-eating spiders, toxic snakes, fierce tigers or disgusting bugs, I'd have to put up with it.

Come to think of it, those things don't seem so bad in comparison to Robert

Come to think of it, those things don't seem so bad in comparison to Robert. In fact, I would trade him off for a hungry bear, if I had the chance. Or better yet, just feed him to the hungry bears.

We have been travelling for a year now and the jungle gets more confusing the deeper you go! I was peering at the compass when I heard a strangled shriek behind me. I spun around to see my 'not-so-wonderful' partner being cornered by a massive tiger.

"M-Miranda! Hel-help me! Please!" Whimpered Robert as the tiger circled him. It was quite tempting to just leave him there, but that would be against my principles. I sighed as I snapped of a mossy branch near me and fumbled for matches. Fire always scared these animals away, I used to light a torch in front of Mother's house every night to avoid raccoons sneaking in taking all the food. I brushed away tears from the memory and I realised the matches were all used up.

 I brushed away tears from the memory and I realised the matches were all used up

I had to hurry up before Robert was mashed up into a bloody pulp.

"Try to stay alive, I'll think of something!" I whispered. Robert nodded, before gulping at the sight of the creature in front of him. I worked quickly, gathering several hanging vines and placing them strategically on the forest floor.

I chucked a stick at the tiger, catching it's attention. I paraded around to the trap and waited. The tiger started to inspect me, seeing if I would make a good meal or not. Then it leap at me, I dodged at the last possible moment as it missed me by a whisker. Pulling on one of the vines, the tiger flew into the air. Four vines wrapped around it's stomach, suspending it in midair.

"Hurry! The trap won't last forever!" I yelled at him as we made a run for it.

"Oh god! Why did you take so long to save me?" Robert complained, picking at some mushrooms.

"Well, the tiger is still hungry back there if you want to be it's lunch." I said, anger boiling inside me.

"Huh, fine. Hey! These frogs are so cute!" He said adoringly. I turned around to see that Robert had a red and black striped frog in his hand.

"It's poisonous!" I warned. This made Robert panic as he flung his arms around, trying to rid of the frog. This only succeeded in the frog jumping onto his face and squirting poison into his eyes. I rolled my eyes as he shrieked in pain. I cupped the frog in my hands and calmly put it back on a tree.

"Owwww! It's stings! My face! My eyes!" Robert sobbed like a toddler. I sighed, washing his eyes out with water and then proceeded to ground up more herbs.

"Are you serious? So far, you've been poisoned 4 times, almost eaten by a tiger and squirted in the face by a frog! HOW STUPID CAN YOU GET!?!" I huffed as I dripped the medication into his eyes to relieve the stinging and to get rid of any toxic substances that potentially remained. Robert kept sobbing like a newborn, which was really getting onto my nerves.

"Not to mention the fact that we are at least 3 months behind schedule!" I remind him bitterly. I brushed myself off and kept walking.

Soon, the sun fell and the moon reigned supreme, shining over the forest. I looked into the satchel to see if there was any food left. There was none. Damn it. Why didn't I keep track of the food supplies? The nuts we had gathered on the snowy mountains were long gone.

"Come on, Robert! We're looking for food." I inform him.

"Why do I need to come with you?" He grumbled, reluctantly getting up.

"So if you die tasting the food, I'll know it's poisonous." I remarked sarcastically. We scouted around desperately to find anything, and then I came across a peculiar looking plant.

Pulling out a dagger, I checked to see if there were any poisonous bugs around and started hacking at the middle of the tree, between the leaves. A white yam like substance was revealed in the middle of the trunk. I grabbed it eagerly and tasted it. EUREKA! They tasted like potatoes and were perfect for storing. I started filling my food bag up with the newly found food and looked for more trees. As I was looking around, I noticed Robert's stare.

"What?" I question.

"How did you know that they were edible? Or if they were even there in the first place? And how can you see so well in the dark?" He started firing questions at me like arrows.

"Huh, well first of all! I read books, books are actually really informative about surviving in the wild. As for my eyesight, they just came naturally I guess." I shrug.

"Well guess what? I can see things with my eyes closed!" Robert bragged. He closed his eyes and started strutting around like a headless chicken. He only got so far until he tripped over a tree root and face planted.

"Oww..... my ankle!" He hissed in pain. I took the opportunity to say a prayer.

"May the Lord Arcadia help me deal with this idiot." I say, referring to the god Arcadians worshipped, and then proceeded to recite another prayer.

"Why on earth are you reciting the prayer for eating bread?" asked Robert, while bearing the pain.

"Because there's no prayer about travelling with idiots." I say acidly, as I grabbed his foot and relocated his ankle.

"Owww!!!" Robert cried. Ughh...