Chapter 32- Face to Face with a Giant Squid

Being as poor as I was, I was basically a vegetarian my whole life. Mother, being the former queen of Arcadia, had tasted many delicacies from around the world. I remember her telling me a particular dish with squid in it, and how tasty it was. But NOWHERE in Mother's description did it say that SQUIDS COULD BE MASSIVE AND DEADLY!!! The thing with life is that you get half way through it before you realise it's a "do-it-yourself" thing. And right now was not a good time to realise that.

It was the next morning, we had covered a good distance and the Ocean Murderers' were nowhere in sight. I let out a breath of relief and fished out the map and compass from my satchels. We still had to travel from a small passageway to get to the nearest country and cross another two countries to get to Hyperborea. Sighing at the task ahead, I glanced at Robert who was too busy trying to catch a fish. Suddenly he jerked up with a yell.

"Holy Mother of Arcadia, that's a big catch alright!" He shouted. Indeed it was, the whole boat was buckling under the pressure. I ran over to him to help him. Grabbing hold of the lines, Kettle Boy and I tugged as hard as we could. I looked down to see a dark shape becoming more distinct. It was even larger than our boat!

"Umm.... Robert? Let go of the line." I said nervously, running over to the rudder to steer the boat as far away from this mega beast as possible.

"Look at it, Miranda! It's so big, it'll feed us for weeks!" He yelled stubbornly, as the boat shook.

"Robert! Let go of the line! It's too dangerous! You'll drown as all!" I shout as a large red tentacle slapped onto the main deck. Robert let go, paling in fear. But the damage was already done. The water turned black with ink. Another tentacle appeared, then another. The boat lifted out of the water as a massive squid broke the surface. It was twice as big as our boat and that was long the part that was out of the water.

"What do I do?" Robert said, dodging as one of the tentacles glided on the deck.

"I don't know!" I screamed back.

"Get us out of here!" Was his response.

"THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT! I TOLD YOU TO LET GO!!! NOW WE'RE WITH THIS SQUID!!! Urghhh!!!! WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT KARMA?! WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND! AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU GET!! AND GUESS WHAT? I'M IN THIS MESS TOO!!" I screech at him.

The squid created giant waves in the water, splashing everything in it's way. It wrapped it's large tentacles around the ship and lifted it up.

"Release a cannon ball! Don't hit it, just release one to try to scare it away!" I command at Robert, who was frozen in fear. Jolting awake, he ran to the cannons and let out a cannonball right next to the squid's head. A loud boom echoed in the water. The squid released it's grasp on the ship and I took the opportunity to hurry the boat away.

"Ugh.. I knew the myth of having a woman on a ship was true." Muttered Robert. I turned crimson with rage.

"Excuse me? WE WOULDN"T HAVE BEEN IN THIS SITUATION IF YOU HAD JUST LET GO OFF THE LINE WHEN I TOLD YOU TO!! IN FACT, I'VE NEVER HAD SO MUCH BAD LUCK UNTIL I'VE MET YOU!" I ranted, no caring if Kettle Boy was offended. A kettle was exactly what he was: his brain filled with water, if he even had a brain to begin with.