Five: The Tower of...lava?

I stared up at the stars like I always did.

Stars are the most beautiful thing on the universe, for never has something been so shiny, so twinkling and so calming.

I let the joy, the joy of the starry night fill me, and my ring started to glow. I took a deep breath and allowed my eyes to slide shut.

"Teal hearts that beat as one, I will protect for the time has come! See me shine from near and far, for this is the light of the emerald star!"

The chant came out fluently as it always did. My voice sounded hilarious, and by hilarious I meant powerful. It was like there were many voices saying it, instead of one.

When I opened my eyes a knew they were glowing. They always did when I charged my ring. I watched as a stream of starlight, only visible to people in a one hundred meter radius, or Robin and I, rushed down to my ring.

The surge of power that rushed through me was more than adrenaline. It was ecstasy.

When the power faded I was breathing heavily and grinning at the sky. "Awesome," Robin commented, applauding quietly. I giggled, "thanks!"

~~~

The next day, Robin had gone to do some crime fighting with the Bat in Gotham, so when I came to train with The Team, he wasn't there, and I had to fight Miss Martian.

"Initiate, combat training. 3, 2, 1."

 We faced each other, and Black Canary watched intensely as we began. M'gann flew at me, and so I flew up to meet her in mid air battle. I wasn't quick enough, and so I went with the last resort to grab her leg and yank her down.

She shrieked, but met the floor with grace by rolling back up to face me.  I gave her no time to recover, by doing a quick cartwheel at her and ending it with a hard quick to her chest.

Grasping her chest in pain, she backed away and began circling the ring. I followed her, not allowing my eyes to stray away from anything she did. Then I knew it was coming, almost automatically.

M'gann ran at me viciously, and my reaction was to block the oncoming fist. I came around with my own left hook, but she countered it with the same block, before kicking my leg harshly.

I stumbled back, and allowed my mind to fill with the training John had given me on fighting Martians. Mars is in our sector, but I hardly go there.

I hit the deck like a rock, rolling forward and landing in a kneeling position, before sticking my left leg out and spinning aggressively. Miss Martian clearly saw it coming, and jumped. 

What she didn't expect was for me to change directions and come back in the opposite leg. It knocked her on her backside. I jumped back to my kneeling and pinned her down with my leg over her chest.