Twenty Five: Worst Fear

The next day started out pretty normal. I woke up to Orion jumping on my head in monkey form. That means he’s hungry.

I got dressed in my new ES uniform for my shopping trip today, had a ham and cheese croissant for breakfast and checked on my sanctuary.

It was almost lunchtime when I went to the hangar to tell the team where I was going.

“Hey guys!” I greeted. 

“Hey Em!” Wally greeted, stuffing his face with food. “I saw you and Robin in Central City yesterday. Called out to you guys. I thought you saw me but you ran off so…”

“Oh! Um, yeah. We were late for something,” I covered. Over his shoulder I could see M'gann, Kaldur and Conner smirking, probably working out what actually happened.

I began walking to them. “Late for reservations at a fancy restaurant?” Wally drawled seedily. I glared at him and steered cleared from the edge of the floor, well away from the…water.

“You…have a fear of water, don’t you?” M'gann asked me. I nodded at her.

“Don’t know why, just hate it. I don’t mind pools, pools are okay. But it’s water like this; lakes, rivers, cave pools and worst of all; the ocean that I fear,” I concluded. 

Wally sped past me and I freaked out, worried he would knock me into the pool or whatever, but Sphere came to my side, between the edge and I.

“Thanks,” I smiled at her.

I watched Wally lean down to Conner’s bike. He began asking M'gann for the tools he needed to fix it, so I walked over and sat between Sphere and Aqualad.

“I’ve been meaning to ask…any problems juggling school work and your responsibilities here?” Kaldur asked the other three.

Orion came over in Chihuahua form and started yipping like crazy as the others talked.

“Hey baby,” I cooed, reaching out and lifting him to my chest. “What is it?”

Wally made a remark about Artemis, when I felt myself being blown to the right, leaving a wringing in my ear. I vaguely saw the team get thrown before I hit the wall, clutching Orion to me.

KF helped me up quickly, before I felt a surge of the demon (water) crash into my violently. It filled my nostrils and throat, so when it receded I was coughing like crazy.

“Orion!” I yelled, noticing he was gone. Then I saw two red figures coming towards us. Automatically, the team and I sprinted into battle, but a second wave hit.

I saw M'gann and Kaldur get out, but Conner and Wally were still under like me. As I began to create a forcefield, something hit my back hard and I screamed.