Eight: The Circus Boy

What be this? Another chapter? Well, I think you guys deserve it. Plus, here in Perth where I Iive, Young Justice is on Channel GO! the moment I get home, so I was in a YJ mood. 

~

I've been here for eight days now, and I've never been happier. I'd made friends with everyone so far, but no one more than Robin.

Whether that was due to my first night here, when we took on Dark Faery together, or just simply because we got along well, I enjoyed Robin's company.

He likes to show me the different gadgets he has, that Batman does not. Though he doesn't say it, I know he idolizes the Bat beyond comprehension.

To be honest, I still knew absolutely nothing about him, and he knew nothing about me. In a way, I found it disappointing. 

Robin wasn't here though. Instead, I was talking with Wally and M'gann

"Really?" Wally looked at me in surprise, which I did find slightly offensive, but I dropped it anyway.

"Really. It's what I do. I get sent on medical missions all the time and eventually I just obtained the title of Medical Officer," I explained happily.

"So he just...let you?" Wally asked suspiciously. I frowned at him 

"Why don't you believe me? I just mentioned it, then asked, and he said yes," I listed casually. We were sitting on the couch. I've been here for eight days now, and I've never been happier.

John and Hal mention to The Bat that I knew a lot of medical paraphernalia and healing junk. So I asked Batman to let me be a Medical Officer like I was back on Oa.

He said yes. But I still had to work in the field.

I guess I could be the teams medical ... erm ... person. It then occurred to me that I haven't even seen or been in the Medical Bay.

I tried to remember where it was. Down this hall, through this door...

The moment I entered, I felt at home. This is a way I can help people, cure them, heal them.

"Hey," A voice said from the doorway. I turned around and grinned at Robin, who still wore his uniform. It made me feel a little odd, standing here in normal clothes.

"This place is amazing," I smiled, gesturing to the room around me.

"MRI scanner, X-ray, it's awesome! Batman put me in charge of medical, isn't that great?" I smiled.

I sat in the spinney chair behind the desk. A computer sat atop of it, every ones medical files waiting to be read. Robin sat on the chair on the other side of the desk and watched me.

Slowly, he frowned a little. "So, what did you do before you came here?" He asked me, sounding polite like her always did.

"Oh, not much. I lived with Hal and Caroline, travelled around the universe, no biggie," I joked. I hoped that could lighten the mood. Robin seemed angry.

"Awesome...and...before that?" Immediately I knew what was up. Batman warned me that Robin would do a background check. Only, my file was absolutely empty, courtesy of the bat himself.

"Nothing, really. Just my mum and I. I never met my dad," I said plainly, before turning to the computer. Robin watched me closely, and it was both intimidating and annoying.

So I sighed and turned to him.

"What do you want to know specifically, Robin?" I question impatiently. He seemed surprised that I worked him out, but leaned forward on his elbows anyway.

"Why is there no information on you in our data base?" He asked quietly.

"I hardly spent any time on Earth. And there are records of me, I checked."

"Yes. There is data about you. Until 2005 you and your mother lived in Gotham. She wasn't around a lot due to her duties, so you were left with your nanny, or sometimes, Green Lantern."

I missed Gotham dearly. This surprises most people, because Gotham is known for the bad guys, but I thought it was beautiful. I remained silent and listen to Robin dictate my life.

"July 2005, your mother was fatally wounded on a mission. Instead of returning to Oa, she came to see you at your-"

"I wasn't home," I suddenly interrupted remembering that night, "we weren't home. My nanny Lana and I. We were...where were we?"

I frowned, tapping my cheek with my finger. "Wait! How could I forget? We were at the circus! There was a terrible accident though..." I said sadly.

That one line made Robin flinch slightly. I looked up at him in surprise.

"Haly International Traveling Circus," He stated, his voice sounding different. I looked up at him, before standing up and pacing over to the X-Ray machine.

"Yeah, that's it! Was that in the files?...Anyway. The family act The Flying Graysons was something I really wanted to see. So we went. While we were out, my mother, wounded, came back and..."

I never liked this part. My hands went over my face automatically.

"She died alone." I imagined my mother, flying through the window like she did ever Friday afternoon. She would be smiling so much, and she'd tell me about the races and planets she saved or the adventures she had with John and Hal.

I missed my mother more than anything in the world.

Suddenly, I felt something on my upper back, and realised Robin had put his arm across my shoulders. I tried to blink me tears away and smile up at him. Why is everyone taller than me?

"The accident at the circus. That was when my parents died," he said so straight-out that I thought I heard him wrong at first.

Then, Boy Wonder left without a word.