Twenty Eight: Return To Leave

I kicked the lizard in the face and it retracted for a moment, before its tongue shot out and wrapped around Orion.

I took the dagger I keep in my boot out and sliced his thin tongue in half. The creature screamed and blood sprayed across my uniformed torso. 

With a swift kick to the side of its head, the lizard went flying over to the tree.

Suddenly, Miss Martian’s voice filled my head. “Link established.”

I began to listen to what they were saying, when the lizard got back up and began stalking towards me. I ignored the conversation going on when another two lizards emerged behind the one I had already beat up.

“Bring it on!” I readied three fists of mana, before I remembered that it was just Conner and I. Closing my eyes, I thought of the spell.

If I concentrate hard enough, I know I don’t need the singing. Plus I cast this one all the time. It’s the one I always used as Midnight.

“Evig em eht anam fo eht thgindim!” I felt a surge of power rush down my arms. When I shot discs at the lizards, they were not their natural green. They were green with purple electricity cracking around them.

It instantly electrocuted the enemy and took out their collars. Once those were gone, the animals returned to normal and walked away.

I took out the first two, and several more walked out. Fantastic, I’m facing a lizard family.

‘Superboy? Star? Are you two offline or just pouting?’ M'gann asked us.

‘We’re busy!’ Conner yelled, struggling with the wolf on top of him. 

‘Yeah, call back late-Conner watch out!’ The biggest lizard jumped off the cliff overhead. Before it could land on Superboy and the wolf I created a shield.

When it made contact, the collar buzzed off and the lizard went back to normal. Something jumped on my back. Another lizard.

I zapped him and he returned to normal. The process continued for a while. I took out the rest of the lizards’ collars…all but one. The one I injured first. 

‘Star, Superboy. We have a plan. Hana lock onto Robin’s location and follow. We’ll call you in for help when it is needed,” M'gann said.

I opened my computer and found Robin on the map. 

Before I could speak, I realised the last lizard was nuzzling his fallen tongue. I approached him slowly, reached out and snapped his collar off.

It didn’t seem to effect him. Instead, he stared at his tongue mournfully. I hummed and sung. “Xif sin eugnot.”