Thirty Five: Traumatised

A strangled cry came out of my throat as I sat up in panic. Tears poured down my face from that…nightmare?

What happened?

My head turned to Dick who turned to me. Slowly, I stood up and reached out to him, cupping his face. What a horrible experience! I hope I never go through that again…

As I hugged Dick slowly, M’gann sat up in shock. Now everyone was awake.

“You’re all alive!” She gushed. I stood away from Robin when my head suddenly spun. I dropped down, only to have Batman catch me and place me back on the table.

I don’t understand. What happened? Batman asked this to J’onn.

“The exercise…it all went wrong,” he confirmed holding his head. What did he mean? Was this some sick test?

“What exercise?”

 “Try to remember,” Batman began. The more he and J’onn spoke, the more I remembered. It was training. A test. We knew it wasn’t real.

I remember the sudden change between the time before Artemis died, and the time after she did. Martian Manhunter told us it was M’gann.

Death shocks everyone though. She couldn’t be blamed, in fact if anyone was to blame it was Bats and J’onn. They put us in the situation to watch everyone die.

Hang on.

“Orion!” I shouted out. The lounge-room door opened up and my green little buddy strolled in. I jumped up from the table and sprinted over to him, stumbling a few times from being so mentally disorientated.

I collapsed on my knees and he jumped into my arms automatically, just like he did on our first day in Mount Justice. I hugged him tightly and stroked his fur.

Red Tornado came over and took my free arm gently, helping me stand. As I was still wobbly, he helped me back to my table, but I did not release my death grip on Orion.

~

Most of the team retired to the lounge, apart from M’gann who retreated to her room and Artemis who went home. I curled up beside Robin tightly, feeling different with him, now that I have told him that I loved him.

Deep down, I wondered if his reply, saying it back, was true, or just something he felt like he should have said because it was the end.

I would have asked him, had Superboy not been on the other side and Kid and Kaldur not been in the kitchen.

Reaching out, I grabbed my phone off of the coffee table and texted Carrol.

‘Is Hal there?’

Minutes of silence later, my phone beeped with her answer.