F I F T E E N

Kassi

When I arrived in my English class, I was greeted with the empty seats of my new friends. With all 5 of them gone, the classroom was much more spacious and quieter than it was yesterday.

The bell rang and I scurried to my seat quickly as my English teacher started his lesson.

'Please God' I thought "I hope I didn't scare them off"

~~~

By the time that the end of the day rolled around, I was exhausted physically and mentally.

Mainly because of two reasons

Those reason being: A) Marcy, the girl that was all over Rhys yesterday was a total witch and B) Because I was lost in all my classes today.

Every single class felt like the teacher was speaking a different language and every chance she got, Marcy kept throwing snide remarks at me. First it started with passing comments in the hallway but as the day continued, her and her group of friends would always mutter things under their breaths or whisper to each other as soon as I walked by.

Now if I was back home in New York and people were talking about me behind my back, I wouldn't have minded asking them what their problem was but here, for some reason, the little voice in my head was telling me not to start problems with them just yet.

Its not because I was a coward, far from it.

I think it was because if I did have a fight with those girls, my warden ( aka Grandfather) would have a coronary and probably kick us out.

I knew I could handle myself, years of getting in trouble at my old school proved that, but I was smart enough to know that if my grandfather kicked us, Ares would have an unstable life.

And that COULD NOT happen

I even tried to call my Mom at lunch to update her about my situation and how we're adjusting but my call just kept going to voicemail.

"Dammit Ma," I huffed "Pick up your phone"

As soon as that final bell rang, I jumped in my car, picked up Ares from school, grabbed some dinner and headed home.

When we got home I noticed that my Grandfather's truck was here but he was no where to be found in the house.

"Sissy" Ares said after he ate "Can I watch some cartoons?"

"Sure" I said "If you're finished with all your homework"

He beamed "I finished it at school. Mrs. Torres checked it too!!"

I laughed and ruffled his hair "Okay buddy, go ahead and watch some T.V. If you need me, I'll be in my room"

He ran excitedly to his room and I heard his t.v. turn on.

I quickly cleaned up, grabbed my bag, and then hightailed my lazy butt to my room to get started on the mountain I call homework.

Halfway through my Economics Homework, I heard a creak from the upstairs attic.

An attic that happened to be right above my room.

A empty attic

I paused and waited to see if there was another creak and this time, a thump sounded from above me.