S E V E N T E E N

Kassi

I stared at the stairs long after the old man disappeared.

I looked at a happy Orion, wagging his tail back and forth as he watched me.

"A little dramatic, eh?" I asked him

He barked twice and I patted his huge head "Come on boy, let's go see if there's any dog food laying around"

He barked once more before running down the stairs.

I laughed as he skipped the last two stairs and basically flew into the kitchen. 

When I finally got in the kitchen, I started looking in all the cabinets for the dog food. When I didn't find any, I frowned.

"What the hell does he feed you if there's no dog food?"

Orion scratched the fridge door before whining.

I looked at him in shock "Can you understand me?"

He stopped whining before tilting his head to the side and barking once.

I shook my head "No way"

This dog was messing with me.

He barked again

I heard footsteps on the stairs before a sleepy Ares came into the kitchen. When he saw Orion, his face lit up.

When Orion saw Ares, he froze before barking twice and looking at me.

'What an odd dog' I thought before mentally promising myself to question the old man about Orion.

"We got a dog sissy?"

I bit my lip and gently patted Orion's head "No buddy. This is Grandfather's dog, Orion"

Ares ran forward but I put my palms out, slowing down his approaching form "Wait buddy!"

He paused and started to whine "Kassi..." he drawled my name out "I want to play with the doggy!" 

I smiled "I know you do buddy but I don't know anything about this dog. He seems nice but I don't know if he'll attack if you rush towards him again"

I looked at Orion "Sorry Bud, but I rather not risk the chance of having my baby brother mauled to death"

He looked at me and I swear to God it was like he shrugged his wolfy shoulders in a way that said 'I get it'

I reached for Ares and he hesitantly put his hand in mine "He won't bite, right sissy?"

"I don't think so but just in case, why don't we touch him together? Worse comes to worse, he'll bite me and not you"

Ares frowned "I don't want you to get bitten either sissy"

I pinched his cheek before giving it a kiss "I'll be alright buddy. I'm tough, that's why I'm your big sister"

Orion whined and I turned to see him giving us what looked to be a sad look.

He whined again and Ares gave me a nervous look

"Is he okay?"

"I'm sure he's fine buddy. We're just taking too much time and maybe he needs a belly rub"