T W E N T Y - F O U R

Rhys

I gasped for air as I collapsed on the grass beside the River.

Kaden stood over me laughing as he propped his sword against his thigh.

"What's wrong Pup?" Kaden taunted "I thought you were the best? You are the Alpha? Aren't you?"

"I never said I was the best" I growled and jumped back up "My third is the best at anything that has to do with weapons or combat. She'd take you down in two seconds flat"

He raised an eyebrow "She?"

I nodded "Yeah. She's the girl still sleeping in the infirmary"

"That little thing?" he asked incredulously "She looks like one of my daughter's doll"

I laughed "Yeah, she might look like one but trust me, she's no doll. Or Princess. Or Anything Girly"

"And I'm guessing that boy next to her is her Mate?"

I nodded "Shawn. He's human and they've been best friends since he was adopted by a older couple in my Pack. He was bullied a lot, because of what he is, but that never stopped Everly from becoming his friend. Eventually, when they turned 16, it was a shock to everyone that they turned out to be Mates. Not because there wasn't chemistry, because trust me, there was, but because the daughter of one of the most strongest wolves in our Pack, and my father's Beta, was Mated to a Human. Something no one thought possible"

"Why did everyone think it wasn't possible?" Kaden frowned "It's 100% possible. Hell, I'm Married and Mated to a Human"

I chuckled "No offense Alpha Kaden but over here, things don't work the same as in Cali. It's not like my pack hates Humans. Quite the opposite. It's the fact that we haven't had a Human/Wolf Mating in over two centuries in our Pack"

"How is that possible? You would have to have had at least..."

I shook my head "Nope. Not one. Many of our Pack members leave the Pack temporarily if they haven't found their Mate by their 16th birthday. Think of it like a spiritual journey but instead of finding inner peace and solace, you find your significant other" I grinned  "Once they leave and enter a New Pack's territory, state, or country, they end up meeting their Wolfy Mate"

"But, you never went on this spiritual thingy? Why?"

"I don't know. Something was telling me not to go. At the time, I shook it off because I was the Alpha's Son and my duty was to stay here and help my Dad but then I realized that it wasn't the case" I sighed "Funny enough, a lot of people thought Everly and I would end up as Mates because our parents were Alpha and Beta but fortunately that wasn't the case"

Kaden laughed "Harsh much?"

"Nah, Everly is a pain and needs someone with much more patience than I have. Shawn is exactly that person. He has the patience of a Saint" I chuckled "You don't know how badly we were praying to the Moon Goddess to not make us Mates. Every crazy ritual there was, we tried. I'm pretty sure we almost summoned a demon after one particular ritual"

I laughed and Alpha Kaden joined in

"So you never asked why you never met your Mate before now? I know if it was me, I would have went crazy"

"Oh trust me, I did. I wondered everyday why this freaky thing happened to me. I went to go talk the Pack Elders but they didn't understand it either" I got in fighting position "Now are we gonna talk or are we gonna fight?"