N I N E T E E N

Kassi

I woke up in the middle of the night to loud whimpering.

When my eyes adjusted to the light, I saw Orion's paws twitching as he whimpered.

I turned my lamp on and slowly walked toward him.

When I got close enough, I carefully laid my hand on his belly. He woke up with a growl and I quickly snatched my hand back.

I gave him a sheepish smile "Hey buddy, you doing alright?"

He looked at me with caution before laying on his back, exposing his belly toward me.

I beamed

Finally, at least one dog liked me!

Growing up, I was never really allowed to have pets because we were either constantly moving or my mom thought we were too immature for a pet. I wasn't even allowed a goldfish because of my mother's fear of me accidentally killing it.

Plus, whenever I was around some type of dog, they would always run away from me or hide behind something.

After a while, I got sick of it and decided that dogs and me just don't mix.

And don't even get me started on Cats.

All I'll say is that they're pretty to look at but that's just about it.

I rubbed Orion's tummy and decided just to talk to him, even if he had no idea what I was saying.

"This new school is interesting" I began "The people are, from what I know, nice and welcoming but it's just my first week"

His tail thumped against the wooden floor loudly so I took it as a sign to continue.

"I've met some friends, I think. They're nice but they weren't at school today. I hope I didn't scare them off"

He got up and sat next to me with his tongue hanging out.

His tail thumped louder

I sighed "I really hope I didn't scare them off, or else it's gonna get real awkward"

He tilted his head to the side.

It was funny to me because it was like he was asking me 'Why?'

I sighed "You're lucky you're a dog and don't have to deal with human problems"

He whined 

I was about to calm him down when I heard my brother crying from his room.

I flew up and swung open his bedroom door.

Orion followed me as I ran to Ares side.

"Ares" I shook him "Wake-up"

He whined and it reminded me of the whine Orion let out a second ago.

I looked at the dog and found him starting at my brother.

I started to freak out when Ares wouldn't wake up and kept on whining.

"Ares...Buddy, come on. Wake up. You're scaring me"

No Response

A minute later, he began to shake.