Chapter I ✓

CHAPTER I

✽❋✽

Breathlessly, I shot up from where I laid. My eyes were wide open as I tried to breathe the fresh air frantically. There was a searing pain deep in my throat and the dryness of a desert with no rain for months.

As my breathing calmed down, confusion took over me. Where was I? What happened? Those questions flew through my mind as I took in the greenery in front of me. It seemed I was in the middle of a meadow surrounded by beautiful yellow dandelions that dropped with the setting sun that turned the sky from its usual blue hue to an ombre orange. The meadow seemed to be entirely surrounded by a forest of trees and a small pond that was not so far from me.

How had I gotten here? The entire scenery was entirely new to me. As I tried to stand up, everything came back, knocking me off my feet.

Dinner. Mom. Dad. Andre. Attack. Wolf. Moma! Pack. Run.

"Mom!" I cried out to the empty ski as tears began falling from my eyes. She was gone. Dad was also gone. They were gone. I couldn't help but sob to the ground as pain reigned throughout my body. I remembered the attack and running. But how did I end up here? In this meadowed scenery. In the midst of my heartbreak, a soft voice spoke in my conscious, whispering Andre. What of Andre, what happened? Last I remembered of him, he was at his friend's house.

As I stood up to my feet, I realized I was barefoot. That's when I also realized I was wearing one of the white cotton nightgowns I wore to sleep sometimes.

What was going on? How had I gotten here? Could it be possible I had dreamt all of that and sleepwalked all the way to the middle of nowhere?

With that hopeful thought in mind, I began racing into the trees, not sure of where I was going but just hoping I would arrive back home, and Mom would be getting dinner ready, and Dad would be sitting watching the latest show. I just wished to find them and hold them near once more.

It wasn't long before my running feet took me to a civilized area. It felt I had traveled through space, an eerie feeling going through me. As I looked around, I noticed multiple strong structures. Houses and buildings spread evenly throughout the...

...village?

In the middle of the mysterious town stood a small castle-like building. It was surrounded by a black metal fence adorned with hedges of green mixed with dried-up red roses. The brick house was decorated with wide windows and a tall wooden door. The whole scenery, although beautiful, seemed gloomy. The eerie feeling crawled through my skin as a breeze blew by.

With no second thought, I made my way to the wooden front door. As I pressed my hand on it to push it open, a force pushed me forward, and before I knew it, I laid on the floor inside of the building, the door still closed.

My breathing sped up as I stared at the closed door in shock. What the hell is going on?

I snapped out of my shocked state when I heard hushed voices coming from around the corner, leaving me no time to think about the recent events and, on instinct making me press against the wall in a form to hide.

"Poor... such a horrible thing it is... I can't even imagine what it would be like to lose my... His poor mate... dead... such a tragedy!" I brokenly heard the feminine voice speak.

From where I hid against the wall, I peeked around the corner to get a glance. Two women with knee-length dresses and aprons walked down the stairs, one holding a jug of what appeared to be orange juice while the other one held a nearly full plate.

"And there's also the little boy, A... poor soul, that boy, all his fa... such a horrible thing!" the other voice spoke, coming to the bottom of the staircase, taking a sharp turn and leaving through a wooden door, their whispering voices drifting away.

What were they talking about? Poor soul? A boy?

With the women gone, it gave me time to look around the place I've come upon. In front of me was a marble stairway with a red carpet set in the middle. A black railing lined the stairway with the design of moons and howling wolves. It seemed to lead to a hallway, where a big window layed. At the bottom of the stairway, two golden bases stood holding a green plant each. To the left of the stairway was another open room. This seemed to be the living room. It was a circular room with wall-length windows adorned with fine silk red curtains with golden trimming. Expensive looking furniture was layed around the room; all matching the curtain's palette.

Turning away from the room I looked up the stairs. Would it be rude if I went exploring around this grand place? Without letting myself overthink it even more, I made my way up the staircase. After all, my priority was to find answers. As I arrived at the top of the stairs, I heard soft sobbing and whimpering coming from down the right hallway. A familiar sound that broke my heart.

In front of me stood a half-opened light-wooden door. Light shone from within. The closer I got to the door, the louder the cries got, each wave striking my heart with more force.

As I tried to push the door open, I again just went through it, literally. But there was no time to dwell on that, as my eyes laid sight on the scene in front of me, shattering my heart into a million pieces.

"Andre?"

✽❋✽