Chapter II ✓

CHAPTER II

✽❋✽

In front of me sat a small boy on the carpet, untouched toy cars, and blocks laid around him. The blonde-haired boy shook as he sobbed in his hands, his overgrown hair falling onto his eyes, wet with tears. The poor little soul seemed shattered.

"Andre!" I yelled this time, rushing to the small figure, "Andre! Oh my God! Andre!" Tears began streaming down my cheeks as I reached the five-year-old boy.

Andre Howle was my little brother. For nearly 12 years, I had been an only child. It was just my parents and me, resulting in me being the light of my parent's lives. They showered me with so much love and protection; after all, it had taken them a while before they were able to conceive a child. Andre was a surprise for all of us but truly a welcomed one. He soon became my most favorite being in this world.

I awaited the sense of relief once reaching him, but that never came. When my arms came around him, they just kept going, straight through him. I fell on my face, shocked as my sobs choked up my throat.

"Young Andre?" a soft, unfamiliar voice called as a figure of a maid entered the room.

I turned towards the girl and desperately asked, "What's wrong with Andre?" my chest heaving up and down.

She opened her mouth to speak, giving me an ounce of hope that finally, I would get some answers. "Andre dear?" my heart sank, "You haven't touched your food... How about I take you for a bath, and then we try again?" she spoke in a soft voice, somewhat conveying that she knew this was a hard time for Andre. And it was, it seemed. I just wish I knew why. Instead of answers, I was completely ignored. It was like I was invisible, a ghost screaming to be heard.

The maid softly gathered Andre's small hands, with no trouble, encouraging the still sobbing boy to come along. Andre clung onto the maid's skirts as he sobbed into them, and she patted his back as she led him out of the room, the door closing behind the pair.

I was left standing in this unfamiliar room, shocked and with more questions than before. She was able to hold onto Andre. Why was I not? Why was I completely ignored? What was this power that allowed me to teleport through doors, and apparently people?

"Wait!" I exclaimed, rushing to follow them, my mind clouded with a million questions. Like last time, when I reached the knob, my being went through. The shock upon shock left me paralyzed as I stared at my hand.

"Sissy!" Andre cried out, making me look up from my hands, "I want Sissy!" he cried out as he was picked up onto the maid's arms, allowing him to cry into her shoulder just as they turned the corner.

No one can hear me...

No one can see me...

Andre...

What's wrong with me?

Monster! A voice whispered in my ear. You're a monster!

"No..." I whispered, shaking my head, scooting back towards the door, "No!" but when my back met the wood of the door, I began slipping through.

Monster!

"No!" I screamed, holding my hands up to cover my ears, as I stood up and ran, wanting to get as far away from that door and everything as possible.

I ran through halls and halls until I found an open door. It seemed to have been left open in a hurry. I dived in and huddled in a corner, surprised when my back met with a solid wall. I clung to the wall, loving the way it was there. Tears streamed down my face, hugging myself to the wall.

At this point, I believed things couldn't get worse. I was proven wrong when the door slammed closed. On its own. I let out a sharp scream, hoping anyone, anything, could hear me and come save me from this hell.

"Goddess! Please!" I cried out.

Within seconds, the once perfectly lit lights began flickering on and off until there was no more light, "No!" I screamed in fright, a tightening feeling forming in my throat, begging the Goddess to have mercy on me.

Monster!

"No..."

There was no mercy, as the lights didn't come back on. I was left alone, frightened, and in despair. Paralyzed in the dark with only endless questions.

✽❋✽

"Always remember Lynnette," mother's sweet voice whispered in my ear as she hugged me tight, "We love you very much. You and your brother are our worlds,"

It was my seventeenth birthday, a full year after my sixteenth, the start of the journey to find my mate. So far, I haven't had much luck. I wasn't the only one without a mate, far from it. It was only a few who had found each other and had completed the rituals.

Yet somewhy, my case was different. Mom tried to comfort me, saying how I had plenty of time to find my other half, reminding me how she found Dad when she was 27 and how Grandpa found Grandma when he was 38.

"It's normal honey," she'd say, "it happens at different times in life, at the perfect time: not a second early, not a second late."

But I felt empty. I felt a void since my sixteenth birthday, a cold, dark feeling that filled my being.

As mom hugged me tight, I stared into the distance, remembering what had happened earlier that afternoon.

Dad finally agreed to take me to the Elders after I came clean and revealed the nightmares. We stood outside the Elder's village in the pack grounds. A warrior stood tall, staring straight upfront, guarding the gate.

The shacks that made the village were garnered greens and the most fluorescent natural colors of pinks, blues, and yellows.

The second guard made his way back to the gate, "The elders await you at the pool," he announced, signaling for us to go.

Dad voiced our thanks, leading the way with mom guiding me along. The guard followed near. We made our way past a curtain of greenery, the only thing separating the rest of the village from the pool.

The pool was a sacred place in the pack grounds, where pack elders gathered and carried out their duties, one of them being connected to the Goddess herself. It was made of a sacred pool of water, moved by the waterfall along the green that surrounded it.

The elders waited at the coast of the pool; as we approached, they turned to us. The leader, a woman with a white bun on her head, with ringlets of greying hair framing her face.

"Lynnette," she said, opening her arms to me. I turned to mom, who nodded at me, and so I neared, "We've been expecting you, my dear," she said, her frail hands cradling my face.

✽❋✽