22. I'm Feeling Sick

Chapter 22 - I'm Feeling Sick

It's been two weeks since we found out that my brother Matthew had gone missing. And things weren't looking good. The big problem for the people trying to find my brother is that they are here and not in Iraq and communicating can be hard so now it's all about waiting and praying.

Dad has been kind enough to let Brooke and I stay home while we wait for news but the waiting and doing nothing is killing me, but I also don't want to go back to school either. It will mean confronting my friends who have been calling and texting but I've been ignoring them. I haven't seen them since Tori confessed everything, which is another thing that's been spinning around in my head. I'm still angry at her for not telling me sooner, and for kissing Alec so we'd break up, then I'm also mad at Alec for not telling me, but I haven't seen him either.

He was kind enough to bring my sister home that night we found out about my brother and he hasn't come back or even texted which had infuriated me to no end. I know I'd ignore his text if I got one, but it would still be nice to know that he cares. If he even does, which from what Tori said, sounds like he does. But I just feel like a mess and I'm trying to forget about all the petty school drama while we pray that my brother is okay.

I lie on the couch eating a bag of potato chips as I stare at the food TV when my sister walks into the room. "What you watching?" She asks, her eyes flickering to the TV before looking back at me.

"Don't know," I answer honestly. I'm not even watching it. It's just something to do, something to put my mind off everything.

"What's wrong with you? You're being moody," She frowned as she sat down on the couch next to me.

I look over at her now and raise my brows, "No kidding. You do realise that our brother is gone?" I say sarcastically.

She shakes her head, "No," She says, "Its more than that." She tells me and I sigh.

"Don't worry Brooke, it's nothing." I tell her.

"Is it about Alec? I haven't really seen him around?" She pushes.

I narrow my eyes at her, "Butt out." I say angrily before getting up from the couch and storming upstairs to my room.

I flop down on my bed with a big sigh. I know I was big hard on Brooke but I was angry and I didn't really want to tell people how I felt. I stay lying on my bed looking up at the roof for who knows how long before there's a knock on my door.

"What?!" I yell.

"It's just me," My dad says as he opens the door and peers in and I sit up.

I sigh sadly, "Sorry dad, I didn't mean to snap," I say.

He smiles and walks into my room before he sits down in the bed next to me, "It's alright. I know it's been tough. I haven't seen Alec in a long time?" I says and I sigh again.

"No, we're not together anymore," I tell him and try not to sound sad about it.

"Why not?" He asked.

"He wasn't really wanting a relationship," I try to sum up.

He doesn't reply. We sit in silence for awhile before his phone rings in his pocket. I look over at him and he pulls it out and answers, "Hello, Aaron speaking," He says to the phone.

I could faintly hear the person on the other line but not enough to pick up what they were saying. I watch as multiple different emotions go across my fathers face - sadness, shock, angry - before he hangs up without another word and stares at me.

"What? Who was it?" I ask, mildly interested, was it about Matthew?

He swallows before he answers me, "Ah, it was the army. They think they have news." He says with a small frown.