18. Promise

Chapter 18: Promise

People in the movies, when they are sad, walk aimlessly in the middle of nowhere until someone finds them. Well of course that never happen in real life. Here I walk, not in the middle of nowhere, but in school, waiting for something to happen but I doesn't. I've already missed 5th period, so I gather my things and go to last period, science, not my favourite, it would actually by very least favourite. I walked to my locker and pulled out my text book and pencil case then throw it into my bag. I walked quickly to G8, my science room, not wanting to be late, and really not wanting to cause a scene.

But of course I was late anyway and everyone stared at me as I made my way to the back of the class, to an empty desk. Even worse, this is unfortunately one of the only classes I have with Sophia, Tori, Carter, Nathan and worst of all, Alec.

Although my friends sat up the front they still managed to turn around to stare at me with worry. But Alec sat closer to the back so was able to look at me more easily. He looked at me curiously, he looked confused. I tried to ignore him as much as I could, but for some reason I was drawn in. He stared at me and I stared back. His gaze held mine, I just couldn't look away.

I jumped when I heard the bell, it broke our consent gaze. I was surprised at how quickly the lesson had gone. I hurried to packed up the little I'd gotten out and rushed out the door before anyone could catch me.

I almost didn't go to my locker, I didn't want to give anyone anytime to stop and talk to me. The general chit chat I got these days, "How is Alec?" Or, "You and Alec are so cute!" The exact thing I didn't want to talk about. But in the end I didn't want to be carrying my text book around with me, any extra weight would just make the walk home more unpleasant then it was already going to be.

"So," Victoria started, making me jump, just as I was locking my locker. "What was that all about?" She casually asked.

I sighed, "What was what?" I asked.

"In class! You came in late - without Alec - you say at the back looking like a truck has hit you," She said.

"Ghee, thanks," I muttered.

"Then," She continued, "You run out of class before anyone can ask you what heck is wrong! But Alec does nothing, he just sits there looking pretty torn up himself," She concluded with a big breath.

"The only thing torn up is his humanity and his head," I hissed.

"Woah, what happened," She almost sounded smug and she even smiled a little.

"Non of your business." I snapped, as I glared at her.

She looked taken back a little, shocked even before I turned on my heel and stormed off. What was her problem?

The long walk home was just as bad as I thought it'll be, and to make matters worse it started to rain. How cliche. I was about two blocks away from home and soaking wet when a car whizzed past before slamming their brakes on. The driver reversed right up to where I stood.

"Need a lift?" I looked over to see Nathan with Sophia. They both looked at me a bit worried.

"Sure," I muttered, walking towards them.

After I got in Nathan didn't move, in fact they both turned around to face me. "What's up Jay?" Soph asked.

"Does it matter?" I sighed.

"Yes. It does," Nathan frowned a little.

"Well I don't really want to go into the gory details but Alec and I had a, um, fight, I guess," I wasn't quite sure what to say. I didn't want to say he'd 'broken up' with me. Because if I was upset about that would mean I like him, which I didn't need them to know that.

"What sort of fight?" Soph probed.

I sighed again. "About what happened in the cafeteria." I shrugged.

"Well why did you fight over that? It seems like you both enjoyed it," Sophia asked with a smile tugging at her lips.

"That's the point," I told them like the answer was obvious.

"Oh," She muttered, looking away.

"What?" Nathan asked, looking at Sophia.

"He can't commit," She muttered. She got it, "But I don't understand. Do you..." She trailed off looking at me with wide eyes. She totally got it.

"Does she what?" Nathan asked, he was a bit more behind. Boys...

But Soph ignored him as she continued to question me, "Since when?"

"I don't know. I only realised today. He said it would be best if everything went back to the way it was before," I muttered quietly. A stray tear slipping down my face.

"But it will never go back to the way it was before," She almost smiled again.

"What do you mean?" I was lost now.

"Well he can't unlike you and you can't unlike him. Everything has changed," she explained herself.

"Like me?!" I quietly shrieked.

"What is going on!" Nathan shouted, finally looking frustrated.

We both looked at him then I looked at Soph, wanting her to explain, I didn't have the words to talk.

"Juliette likes Alec and Alec likes her but he has commitment issues so broke off their fake relationship," She quickly summarised.

"Alec doesn't like me," I quickly corrected her.

"Doesn't like you my arse," Nathan raised one brow.

"How do you know? You're the least observant of us all," I frowned at him.

"I may not be observant but I am a man," He told me smugly.

"More like a boy," Sophia muttered making me laugh.

"Hey! I'm a man!" He defended himself glaring at her.

"Whatever floats your boat, boy," Soph chuckled as Nathan suck his tongue out at her and started the car again taking off towards my house.

I was exhausted by the time I stepped into my house. I placed my keys into the bowl beside the door and stood frozen at what I saw sitting next to the table.

"You look like crap," I looked up from the bag on the floor to my brother in his uniform.

"What's this?" I pointed to the bag by the door.

He sent me a small smile, "It's time for me to head back little sister," He told me.

"But you only just got here, you said you had a week! It's only been two days!" I cried out, tears slipping down my face again.

"They called, they need me to head back today." He sighed sadly as he pulled me in for a hug.

"We didn't even have anytime to hang out," I wailed in him arms. Probably leaving tear stains on his uniform.

"I know, I'm sorry kid. But don't you worry, I'll be back before you know it," He told me encouragingly.

We stood in our embrace for what seemed like an eternity before I heard a car horn honk outside. I looked up at my brother in horror, "You're leaving now? What about dad? Brooke!" I asked.

"I know, it's better this way," He told me quietly. "It'll be okay."

More tears slipped down my face, "You better come back very soon," I warned him.

"I promise."

What?! What a crap day for Juliette! Alec broke up with her, Tori's being mean and now her brother is going back to war!

Edited
Hugs and kisses,
Addie xx